All Kayak Fishing Forums

All Kayak Fishing Forums (http://www.allkayakfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing (http://www.allkayakfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dana Point 8/20 (http://www.allkayakfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227)

PerryC 08-20-2006 05:27 PM

Dana Point 8/20

After a few misfires, I finally got on the water about 7am, not too late to chase hali's. The plan was to throw plastics for some bass, then troll some frozen anchovies for the butts.

The water was like glass in the morning which made getting out by the buoys a fast trip. There was a pick on the bass going on, but there were just too many macs to make it fun. After scoring a few bass on 3 inch shrimp, I tried using anchovies where I was for immediate mac hookups...not what I was looking for. However, with bug season just around the corner, a return trip with as 5 gallon bucket may be in order :thumbup

I paddled to the rivermouth with a dozen anchovies left and high hopes of no more macs tearing up my frozen bait. Well, not a mac a drop but a shark a drop one after another. Shovelnose, smoothhounds and leopards chowed down my offerings in short fashion. Moving in a bit and out farther abit didn't matter, the bottom must look like a freeway of fins. Most were smallish, but I got a few that were pretty good sized that gave me a sleigh ride for a few minutes. Off the water about noonish, and met Nate who was heading out in a grey MK Pro Explorer that he bought off Corey at MOS...man it's a small world at times.

PerryC. :coffee

Robert 08-20-2006 06:52 PM

Re: Dana Point 8/20

Great to see you got on the water and got to pull on a few fish Bro! How did the P13 work out?

Robert

PerryC 08-20-2006 08:29 PM

Robert,
The P13 is definitely a nice kayak with a well thought out deck. However, after spending half a day in it in the open water though, I think it's better suited to someone a bit smaller and lighter than myself. If I was running a 5 gallon powered bait tank, and more gear I'm not sure how it would work out. While the P15 takes care of most of the weight concerns, but it feels very different to me as far as paddling compared to the P13, and not necessarily the glide/speed. I tried the Big Game again, and while it won't win any races, I don't have to worry about weighing one down too much. I liked the Fish-N-Dive XF I had, but then when Cobra brought out the Mariner, we traded them in to help promote the new model and the rest is history as they say :badair . While I like the FnD, I like sitting sideways for alot of the day and being able to move my feet around while paddling. It is alot easier with the Big Game than the FnD in my opinion. In the end, I got a Big Game and will try that for a few years give or take,LOL. Looking forward to breaking it in soon. TC&TL,
Perry :coffee

Piranha 08-21-2006 10:48 AM

Hey Perry, Looks like you scrubbed Mission bay! I warned you about those shark sleighrides at Dana! The big ones do give you a helluva ride! I'll be going out once or twice later this week! Vacation time! :) :cool:

Incredible 08-21-2006 11:10 PM

Hey Perry,
sory I missed out this weekend. Sounds like it was OK anyway. Had little kids birthdays and family over. Did I read that you got a Big Game? I told you you would be hooked if you tried it. LOL

jclays 08-22-2006 06:20 AM

You got your self a new yak? A Big Game? Congrats on the new yak.

PerryC 08-22-2006 03:19 PM

Yeppers,
I picked up one of the lime colored big games to putt around in. It was a tough decision, but with what I plan to do with it I need something with alot of capacity to it and flat areas for running lines and mounting stuff. It won't win any speed contests, but most of my fishing is inshore or hoop netting anyways. Plus folks still take FnD's out at LaJolla week in and week out and slam the fish so what the hey :rocker I just need a add a few things here and there and it's good to go. Hope to see you guys on the water soon.

Perry :coffee

Robert 08-22-2006 05:27 PM

Perry,
Congrats on the new ride Bro! Can't wait to go out and wet a line with you.
Drew and I are going to hit La Jolla Sunday. We are getting geared up with
a bunch of stuff from Cabela's. Man, I love that place. They know me on a first name basis.

Robert

Incredible 08-22-2006 10:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great color choice Perry!

BackBay Dave 08-23-2006 09:27 AM

Hey Perry,

Long time no see !!!
Congrats on the new yak...

T.L.
Dave :rocker :rocker :rocker