View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New member... Float tube question

SS,
Welcome to our forums. For decent quality float tubes for the $100 price range, I would look at the Caddis brand. The tubes are good, and you can buy parts if you need them pretty easy. If you were to move up a bit into the $150 range, your choices would double for brands and types.

For fish finders, there are a few models that could work and be within your desired budget (or real close). One is an Eagle Fisheasy model 245DS compact model. The second make is a Humminbird Piranhamax 215. The Eagle is a few bucks more, but I have been using Eagle fish finders on my kayaks an tubes for a few years now and I really like them. I'm also in the process of selecting a new float tube myself, so I'm also going to be using a dedicated fish finder on it this time around and I'll be using the Eagle model I mentioned.

I've attached a photo of my old tube with my fish finder on it. The white plastic material the fish finder head is on is a cut up 5 gallon bucket. They have a the radius build in them, so all you do is secure the head unit on top, and a puck on the bottom part, them run a couple of straps through some slits you make in the plastic, and you're set. Scotty also makes a float tube fish finder mounting kit, but you usually will have to take a few minutes and make an adaptor plate to use one. Hope this helps,
Perry
Attached Images

Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube