View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007, 10:13 PM
Barracuda

jonee523 will become famous soon enough
Default Mission bay 6-3-07 3's the charm

Hey all,

I had a great day on the water that started out bad. Today I installed a kayak rack on my truck for transport. After I was finished I decided to head to Mission bay. After loading everything and almost getting there I realise that I had forgotten my paddle . So I end up buying another paddle today not to mention a ram fishfinder mount too . So I finally get on the water about 2 pm. I launch out of Dana Landing. There is a light breeze blowing and sun is peeking out. Now there were a lot of boats out there today too. Anyway I paddle for the bait reciever and troll at the same time for nada. So after getting a mixed kayak scoop I start to fish. I hit my favorite area and boy does it pay off today. On my first drift I get a nicer 18" halibut. So I'm thinking cool its a great start. I paddle back to the start of my drift area and get nailed but miss the fish. Start again and about 15min go by then I feel the bait get chomped. So I give the fish some time to inhale the chovie and fish on. This one pulls harder so after about 3 min I see a what looks legal halibut. I net this fish and tape him at 23.5 inches. Yahhhh my first legal of the season , can you say dinner. So again I goto the start of my drift area and set out the lines. On this drift the wind has picked up alittle and I'm fishing a little deeper. About 10min into this run I feel the bait running then nothing, the weight builds on the pole so I set the hook. At this point I think I have grass or something then it starts to move. As hard as this fish was fighting I had no idea what it was. After about a 5 min fight I see it , this is the largest halibut I have ever hooked. This fish took me for a ride too. Fortunatly a passing fishing boat was watching and I ask them for a bigger net or a gaff. (I need a gaff now) They manuever to assist with a larger net, After 3 or 4 tries we finally get this monster, this fish is big the biggest I have caught to date for a halibut none the less in the kayak. Well at this point I'm just going nuts over this fish. I get it on a stringer and start to paddle then remember the knothead who stole the last fish, so in the kayak it goes. Before it can do me any damage I brain it with my lip gripper. Now I'm stoked and tried so I call it a day and head in. I got the big fish weight at Dana landing it went 19.9lbs. What an awsome day.

Tight lines and paddle well,

Jon
Attached Images