Thread: Newport
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Home Guard

gone_fishing is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newport

Pescador,
I recently took my son on a skiff at Davey's Locker and we had a great time. The Spotted Bay bass fishing was excellent and there are small barracuda around the bait barge right now. All the bass we caught were near the Coast Guard Station. We drifted (or anchored) along the first and second buoys east as you face the station. As for Halibut, I did not see any caught that day. The only Halibut I've caught there were outside the beach swimming area located by the bait barge. There are hundreds of the spots to fish in the bay but these have always been the most productive for us. The fish we caught were caught on plastic lures or frozen anchovies.

Davies Locker Info:
skiff rental link: http://www.daveyslocker.com/skiff_rentalsNEW.html
Reservations
During the summmer months, you need to call a few days ahead and reserve a skiff if you are fishing on the weekend. If you reserve it for the morning, the skiff must be picked up by 7:00 a.m. or they have the right to rent it to someone else.

Bait
The only options of bait were frozen anchovies or frozen squid. If we wanted live bait, we had to buy it from the bait barge. In years past, they gave us live bait right at the dock which was included in the price of the rental.

Parking
There is paid parking on the beach side of the street. The price is approximately $8.00.

I hope this helps.
Bueno Suerte Pescador!!!!

Hank