View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Baitfish

JoeSixPack74 is on a distinguished road
Default First fishing trip on kayak caugt my limit of Redfish

So today was my first attempt at fishing off my Pelican Castaway 116. I have it rigged with 3 Scotty rod holders, cooler w/2 rod holders, anchor trolley and me. I went to the Sanibel Causeway and launched from the first island. Paddled out almost all the way to Fishermans Key in the grass flats, about 1 foot of water. After fiddling with my anchor for about 15 minutes, just playing with it. Bait was swimming everywhere and a couple of mullet even jumped. So I cast out my first cast. Unfortunately I had put on a Yozuri sinking lure the night before. Well I pulled up grass, so I re-rigged with a Yozuri crystal minnow. White top, reflective sides and a pink underbelly. First cast it hit the water, I started reeling it in and bam! A red took it, and we faught for about 5 minutes. Pulled him aboard and it was a big 24" red. 24 is big for our area. So in the cooler he went and I made my limit since Florida only allows 1. Since he swallowed the lure whole I decided that there was no point in hooking another one if they swallow the lure, it would not good to possibly kill them. I went on the other side of the causeway island to try to hook Seatrout and got skunked over there. But it was a good couple hours on the water.
Attached Images