Thread: VHF Radios
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Barnacle Bob

Tarpon guy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: VHF Radios

Thanks for the tips, guys.

I ended up buying an Icom IC-M34. I got it at West Marine on Marina Drive in Long Beach. One of it's advantages is that it floats. Although, I will still be bagging it when I'm on the water, so I guess that's not such a big deal. I was looking at other radios ranging from $99.99 to $149.00. This radio was $169.00. The guy said he thought it was a better radio and would give it to me for $149.00, so I bought it. If I took more time, I could probably get one cheaper, but I was glad to be able to see it in person and buy it on the spot.

Below is the Icom promo...

The Icom IC-M34 VHF Marine Transceiver is the industry's first floating marine VHF hand-held radio. Compact and lightweight, this unit is incredibly powerful, with plenty of smart features that make it the perfect companion for any marine outing, whether it is just a few hours of fishing, or a week-long expedition. The IC-M34 utilizes an easy-to-read LCD screen with a large 2-digit channel indicator that also displays the volume and SQL levels, and features both screen and key backlighting for easy night time use. This marine transceiver is also easy to use, with nine large buttons on the front panel that provide simple intuitive operation, and an easy-to-hold rounded body that fits securely and comfortably in your hand. The IC-M34 offers quick access to your favorite channels with a favorite channel function that lets you tag your most-used frequencies, as well as providing instant access to channel 16 and channel 9 in case of emergencies. What's more, this unit offers dual- and tri-watch functions, so it can constantly scan channel 16 as well as one or two user-selected channels so you never miss anything important. As an added convenience, the IC-M34 features an auto scan function, a two-step power saver, and weather channel reception with alerts for approaching dangerous weather.
Built tough, the Icom IC-M34 is constructed to not only IPX7 waterproofing standards, which means it can be fully submersed in up to one meter of water for up to 30 minutes, but has been designed to float in both fresh and salt water, so if you drop it you can quickly and easily retrieve it again. This unit also features an AquaQuake draining function which emits a vibrating sound that clears water away from the speaker grill. The IC-M34 is powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack that provides up to nine hours of operating time, while a four-step battery indicator lets you know how long you have to go. This unit is completely portable, weighing only 10.8 ounces with the battery in, and measuring 2.44 x 5.56 x 1.69 inches (W x H x D).
What's in the Box
Icom IC-M34 marine radio, hand strap, antenna, battery pack, battery charger, AC adapter, belt clip, user's manual and warranty information.

Taking the day off, tomorrow. I'll be fishing Dana Point late morning, so I'll report how it worked.

"I fish because the voices in my head tell me to!"