View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Baitfish

AFARR is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ok, got an idea on a kayak...now what safety/electronics?

Good points...

I have now:

Trident 13.

Instead of spending $20+ on a "safety kit", I got the same 1 qt bailer, a loud whistle, flashlight (lithium battery, LED, waterproof), and will now need to get a throw line...all for about $10.

Have a bilge pump (from a boat I owned..sold..and never had on the H2O).

Will get a nice PFD (comfortable and safe).

I'll probably stick with the above advice (for now)...not to go any further out than I can swim back...at least until I have some buddies to fish with (swim to their kayak...).

I'll start with 2 or 3 rods (still a bit of a gear freak...), but I'll have to see how I work them first....maybe cut back.

Will get a basic splashproof (cheaper than full waterproof) VHS radio for my own piece of mind....and a portable fish finder (basic model for now). Not sure on a GPS...although the Garmin hand held units look nice (and I don't want a dedicated unit for the Kayak...rather have one I can use for driving if necessary.

Now....I need to find a buddy...probably the best safety measure of all. I'm in the Allentown, PA area...want to try to get to the beach ( NJ is closest) and will start to try to find people who want to go a few times before it gets too cold.

Thanks!!

AFARR