View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Baitfish

greyloon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hello from Texas.

Lake Livingston and the Trinity River below the lake has good striper fishing. Unfortunately, on the lake, its open water fishing and fishing deep. I've considered trying below the dam. The only boat ramps, though, are one that charges $6 launch and entry fee or the public ramp 9 miles downsteam below a busy highway and of doubtful security for the vehicle. As I have a cart, I've considered taking a look at the campground across from the one with the ramps. It has access, but no ramp. Bit steep, so will have to look at the feasibility, but only a $1.50 entry fee.

The area is only 40+ miles from my home, so its close. The fishing for stripers, hybrids, and blue catfish can be intense. The only other problem is the usual, power boaters who see a fish on and crowd in. At least the jet skis aren't there. As I've had the Loon only since March...great deal on it...and only now am getting it rigged for the way I fish, I've mainly concentrated on the lake by my home.

The Loon and Dirigo cousins are the unsung great fishing kayaks of the sit inside world. Sit on top guys brag about getting in and out in shallow water, but that's no problem with the Loon. Its one sit inside I see no problems with in the shallow Texas bays. In a big wind, the white caps get rough, but the Loon can take it.