View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Hello from Texas.

Greyloon,
Thanks for the striper info! I try to hit Lake Mead near Las Vegas every May. My fishing buddy takes his boat, so we pretty much fish out of it.
Lake Mead is so big that it would be hard to be successful there fishing with just a kayak. You need a boat to locate the stripers. Their location changes every year we go. They might be right outside the marina one hundred yards away from where we dock the boat or they could be up to 15 miles up or down the lake from where you are at. Once you locate them it is game on!
Last time we mother shipped my kayak over to the cove where the stripers
were hanging out. I limited out in about an hour and a half in my kayak! They weren't real big. The biggest was around 4lbs, but it was a hell of a lot of fun!
We were lucky that trip. We found the fish about 3 miles from the dock. We catch the vast majority of them trolling frozen anchovies. We rig the anchovies the way salmon fishermen do. When you troll the anchovy does this slow "death spiral". It drives the stripers nuts! When we go it is late spring and you don't see very many stripers up on the surface crashing
on the shad. When I do I fire a Rattletrap or a Krockadile spoon at them.
Striper fishing is addicting. Once you get into a wide open bite and start catching a fish a cast, there is no hope for you! You are hooked!

Robert