View Single Post
Old 07-17-2006, 05:23 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: La Jolla in September

Hank,
For a few suggestions, if I was launching before daybreak, take some extra lighting items with you. Also a handhald marine radio is a must, along with your PFD, safety stuff, etc...Alot of the anglers come noonish are off the water, so morning is king.

For rigs, be sure to have a few bait catchers, and your bait tank, and whatever you have is in good shape. Live bait is also king. For rods, I would have a jig stick of some type I could fire a surface iron/plastic/plug at bait that is being chased or dove upon by birds. For trolling rods, I would take 2. One for surface stuff like flylining macks, and the second I would use as a deep rig with a torpedo/egg sinkers etc. I would have spectra on at least one of these rigs for fishing along the kelp lines to act as a kelp-cutter when a hooked fish makes a beeline back into the kelp.

For more exact info, I would look up the posts by Aaron&Julie about LJ. They get to spend alot of time on the water and are doing real good there and wacking the fish. You could see what they use, their rigs maybe by doing a search for their posts.

Other than that, a functional Fish Finder can help alot, and at the sake of sounding like a broken record, make sure you have everything you care to keep leashed down, and have re-entered your kayak once or twice. Have a great time,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube