Thread: bassin' tips
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 07:51 AM
Livin' the Dream

seatech is on a distinguished road
Default Re: bassin' tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobb3s93 View Post
thanks for the tips guys i just have one more question, what is the best place for me to start? i was thinking either alamitos bay, newport, or possibly cabrillo? i really want to hit up mission bay...but its a two hour drive
If you want to catch fish, I would suggest Newport Harbor and start with with the "AA" type grubs, in clear w/red flake or chartreuse, fished on a 1/8 or 1/4 oz round lead head. Fish the docks and boat moorings around Balboa, Lido and Harbor Islands. Put your baits as close to this structure as you can and try not to hit the boats/docks when casting

This weekend there are good high tides right at dawn. Launch and fish the back areas of the bay, not just the Coast Guard dock area. Use 8lb test, still light enough for the spotties and should prevent too many break offs. You can also try the GULP stuff, grubs and shrimp baits. I was talking with Jimmy Decker last Saturday, who is a guide in Newport Bay, and he said the back areas of the bay are on fire now for the Spotties.

Good Luck

Ed