View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Free Swimmer

james92026 is on a distinguished road
Default Absolute Noob seeking advice

Realizing there are many, many threads that would probably answer my questions, but also too much input to sort. I really would like some general advice on what to do. I am 70 years old, never been on a Kayak, have owned boats in the past. I fish in San Diego Bay and La Jolla Kelp. I would like to buy a Kayak that is stable, tracks well, and easy to load/unload by myself. I would probably be by myself most of the time, however it is possible that at some point in time, my lady friend would want to try it also. I own a Hyundai Sonata (2011) so it would have to fit on the naked roof as at this time I do not want to invest in a rack system that would probably cost nearly $500. I am a bit apprehensive about a cheap foam tower as I would be on the freeways quite a bit. I live in Escondido CA, and closest ocean launch would be in Oceanside or Carlsbad, but more than likely would launch from Shelter Island on San Diego Bay (at least until I got enough nerve to try a surf launch in La Jolla).

I've only started looking but so far here are my thoughts:

Mini-X by Malibu (mostly for the small size and stability)
Malibu 2
Cobra Fish N Dive (good reports)
OK Prowler 13 (Popularity)

my budget is less than $700 and perhaps another $300 in other essentials i.e. good paddle, life vest, seat back, rod holders, and whatever else I have not thought about (as I am sure there is much).

also referred fishing equipment (I got rid of most of my stuff years ago, but now have only a 9 ft with cheapo spin reel, and a 6 ft Ugly stick with Penn 500 jigmaster. I have been using swim baits (Hammer, Bait Trap, Krokodile, e.t.c. but will probably go with a live well later on. Launching from Shelter Island is close to Pt Loma Kelp, from Mission Bay La Jolla Kelp and not sure, but think the travel distance about 9 miles. (its been awhile).

I know, a lot of variables and subject to interpretation, but any helpful pointers is appreciated.
Thanks,

James

OH, I am 6 ft 1, fairly athletic, 185 lbs if that is helpful.