View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Free Swimmer

james92026 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Absolute Noob seeking advice

Ok, I know it is all subjective and individual and I will just have to try different things out. So for starters (remember, this is my very first time on a Kayak); I went to the Marine Base and rented one for an hour just to get a feel ($5.00). The one they gave me was an OK Classic Scrambler 11. I found it to track pretty well, seemed stable enough. It seemed as though the easier I paddled, the truer and faster it went. Having read a lot of articles, I was able to maneuver easily using wide-arc turning and rudder stroke. Using a reverse stroke, I found I could make a 360 pretty much in place. It seemed to come natural to me.

This Kayak came bare bones, no hatches, tie downs e.t.c. I found the molded in foot stops to be a bit on the short side and had to use the farthest out to stop from hitting my knees. No place for rod storage, although the aft tank well seemed adequate. Only discomfort was my left thigh and this more than likely due to stress at first time out. As for arms and shoulders, no pain at all and I had been paddling for over an hour straight in fairly heavy chop in the bay.

I probably would not be happy with any thing shorter, although I had been thinking of the Malibu Stealth 9 (I think it is malibu) built on the same platform as the Mini X. I was considering that due to its option of center bait well e.t.c.

At the same time, anything longer than 11 or 12 feet might be a probablem transporting roof top on my Hyundai Sonata. I need to meet some "yakkers" and pick their brains, or maybe somebody at the dealers can advise me of my options. Fold up launch wheels is probably something else I will need given as I will be by myself most of the time.

Have patience with me guys/gals, I am only learning, but I am a quick study.