Thread: Cobra Marauder?
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 11:09 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Cobra Marauder?

Jerry,
I've been thinking about how to reply to your question, and I have alot more pro's than con's. I think the pro's are the hull design was a major departure from the hulls Cobra is famous for and is alot more along the lines of a Tarpon or other streamlined kayak hulls. Very little hull slap and a nice smooth ride that cuts through the water. On top, I like the large "A" hatch that is available in the bow. Moving rearward, I also like the mounting area that is behind the front hatch and in front of your feet. It makes a really handy place to mount a fish finder or mounting bar. Along the sides are palces for installing 2 front rod holders. I don't use them very much, but when I'm drifting for halibuts I will use a gimbal mount in one and place my rod in there to slow troll or back troll. You could also use them for dead sticking or drop shotting. You also have the large hatch available like the fish-n-dive which makes getting below deck a breeze. The seat bucket is ample if you have some junk in the trunk or extra girth to you. The tankwell is ample and can hold a full size milk crate which is awesome in itself. The kayak is light and has a good amount or carrying capacity to it.

The cons are I would like to see one that has a smaller hatch in front of you turned sideways which could then increase the width of the footwells and make for a flatter cockpit. The other con is a factory rudder system for it. It's not life and death because of it, I just think it would make it easier to paddle in the wind or help control ones drift while fishing.

I think we need to make plans to fishing Cabrillo or such and swap kayaks for a few hours so you can fish from it for awhile and see if it's the right shoe for your foot.

In addition, Cobra Kayaks is a sponsor for our website and I want everyone reading this to know that up front. They are a sponsor because they are a good group of hardworking folks who stand behind their products. Our goal here is to have quality sponsors that offer good products and service for anglers, and we believe Cobra Kayaks fits this criteria. TC&TL,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube