Thread: Surf Launch
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Surf Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtf View Post
New to this sport, so the learning curve is severe. Have made two beach launches, and each time I'm coming in, just before I jump out to grab the bow line, I toss the paddle which is on a leash. Seem like it is hard on the paddle, must be a better way. What would an experience person do?

Also read a post about deploying the drift shut. I can see good and possible bad things happening.
When I'm launching or landing from any beach or shore, I have the paddle leash attached to my kayak, but NOT the paddle at that point. After I launch, then I'll attach the leash to the paddle and be on my way. If you're in the surf zone and lose your balance, you may be able to use the paddle to steady yourself.

Drift chutes are nice in the right setting where you want to slow a drift or control where your kayak points while in the drift. But, I think you need to be aware that if it gets hung up on something it could be a bad situation for you. When I'm using mine, I'm always aware of kelp and other underwater items it could hang up on, and I always keep a sharp on PWC's or other watercraft when they are around me. I also have mine on a brass snap so I can disconnect it in a hurry if I had to, and a yellow float where the line connects to the chute lines so boaters may be able to see it better. Hope this helps,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube