Thread: Surf Launch
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007, 03:57 AM
Moss Back

Incredible will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Surf Launch

Dtf
Perry is right about not having anything dragging in the water when you land a kayak in the surf. Imagine having a paddle leash get caught around you in the surf zone while the surf tosses your Kayak around like a bath toy. There is more power there than one could imagine That, could be big trouble. Not to mention it is possible to break a paddle shaft this way. As far as having a drift chute deployed while trying to land in the surf, I would not recommend that either. Imagine what could happen if you have the chute deployed and have a wave overtake you as you are trying to land and have the wave pass over you from behind instead of under you. You will not have time to gain momentum again before the next wave hits if you are still aboard. I may not be the authority here but I have had quit a bit of experience over the years dealing with surf entry and exit in small craft and with dive gear on. The thing I have learned (the hard way) is this, You may already know the waves move in sets. Between each set there is about a twenty or thirty second interval before the next set rolls in. You should watch the waves before you launch to determine the number of waves that will pass in a set before the interval. When making your entry time the sets and get aboard and paddle like mad during the interval before the next set rolls through. You can actually clear the surf before the next set comes in. If you are not out of the zone in time you will have enough momentum up to punch right through the next wave if you do get caught. When making your exit sit outside the surf zone and time your sets the same way. Give yourself a little bit of a run before you actually enter the surf zone and build up some speed. Time your exit so you can come in on the back of the last wave of the set as it breaks. As you are landing on the beach ride as far up as you can and hope off paddle in hand and drag your kayak up on the beach. If you end up sideways on your approach you can use your paddle to brace on the seaward side of the kayak and just let the wave bring you in. If you do fall off at least you wont be between the kayak and the beach. There is some good information on this at www.kayakdiving.com/ Mark Theobald has a book out that covers the subject that you can get at this site. Just make sure you have everything secure on board in case you do crash land. Some times when things are dropped in the surf they disappear forever. I hope this helps.