View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Baitfish

fssshhh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sit in or Sit on kayaks for fishing?

I have a sit in that I fish from and use to crab in the ocean. I enjoy staying warm and dry on cold days. It is easier for me to paddle than sit on tops and I am able to keep up with stronger paddlers. I bought it because it is 26 pounds and I am able to load it on my car myself. Most sit in kayaks are lighter than sit on tops but the sit on tops are getting lighter (34 pounds). Sit in kayaks have closed water tight storage in front or back or both. I fit all my camping gear in my two enclosed storage areas but if I am bring a cooler it can be tricky. You just have to be creative. I put a bucket in the back round storage of my boat and fill it with my lunch/snacks/water that way I can get to it without getting out of my kayak. Those are some of the good features of having a sit in.

The sit on top is nice on a warm day if you want to get some sun or stretch out. They have more on deck storage such as flush rod holders, places for coolers, food, cup holders, crab traps if you go crabing, places to put your tackle, paddle holders, you can load your boat with camping gear if you are going camping on an island or part of a lake that you can't get to by car. You dont have to worry about rolling your kayak. Some of the sit on tops are stable enough to stand up on if you are fishing. If you are not looking for speed, a super light weight boat, or going out in high seas then it seems a sit on top would work well. They even make a new one I think for 2012 that has a wheel built in so you can roll it.

Hope that helps!