View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 10:39 AM
Baitfish

Location: Currently, Port Washington, NY - soon to be Manhattan Beach, CA (hopefully)
Fish Taco is on a distinguished road
Default Kayak Fishing the South Bay beaches of L.A. - any help here?

Hi all,

Just joined this forum today (see my introductory post earlier) and was wondering if anyone who kayak fishes the South Bay area of L.A. can pass along any helpful information to a new guy moving into the area in the coming months.

My family is targeting finding a home somewhere in the 3 beach communities of this area (Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo) and slight chance we may also take a peek at RPV or Rolling Hills but prefer to be nearer to the beach and within walking distance of a lot of things in the community. Schools and commute is the primary reasons we are targeting this area (it sure ain't the "cheap" home prices either! Yikes!)

Anyway, as I explained in my previous post... I'm interested in getting to know the "ins & outs" of kayak fishing this area... some things I'm looking to find out are:

• Access - where is the best place to launch? Is it free or fee based? I have a rather heavy yak that I trailer on a Yakima Rack N Roll trailer so trailer access to a ramp is important, or short distance with my Wheeleze beach kart will work too.
  • Best places to fish - outside offshore of breakers, or inside Redondo Harbor okay too? I'd love to target halibut, but love all the SoCal has to offer as well (3Bs - bass, barracuda, bonito; as well as WSB or anything else for that matter)
  • Is beach launching from this area crazy? I know this ain't La Jolla Shores with it's notoriously small waves... this is surfer country and there is a reason for that, right? What's the skinny on this?
  • Is it easy enough to launch in Redondo Harbor and just paddle outside the breakwall into the Pacific if it's not too snotty? Does anyone go outside much and how far does one safely venture?
  • How about Marina Del Rey harbor... what's the skinny on that? Same situation as Redondo Harbor?
These are just a few of the many questions I have popping up in my head at the moment. Any input from anyone familiar with kayak fishing this area would be VERY helpful and REALLY appreciated.

Thanks so much!

...from the "new guy"

*Soon to be relocating to the South Bay (i.e. - Manhattan, Hermosa, or Redondo Beach this summer)