View Single Post
Old 09-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Free Swimmer

dwest is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Crew maneuvers; Captain’s Delta tips, too (part 1)

Scouted out the 8 Mile Road launches into California’s Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta. (Take Interstate 5, go west on 8 Mile Road).

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=12&ll=38.048361,-121.419868&spn=0.192499,0.186768&om=1

Just before the first bridge, take a left to go to Paradise Point. This is a full service marina with boat rentals, a general store, and The Breadfruit Restaurant (Caribbean food, mon!). It also has an observation tower and a picnic area designed to be out of the hot summer sun.

Back on 8 mile Road heading west you come to the second, green, bridge. Turn left to go to King Island resort. A somewhat smaller, rougher launch. General store.

Back on 8 Mile Road going west, just across the green bridge turn right onto Correia Road. Keep going as the road turns from rough paved to well graded gravel and back again a couple times. You will notice a cement ferry ramp with its mate across the slough.

Go back to 8 Mile Road, turn right and go to the end of the road. Turn left and go to the end of the paved levee road. You will see a wooden ferry ramp to your right. There is a “no everything sign,” so it is your decision whether or not to use it. I’d tell you about my decades of experience there, but I better take the 5th.

Turn around and go back on the levee road , cross 8 Mile Road and you are at Herman & Helen’s resort. A floating restaurant, store, and a small launch ramp squeezed in.

There is bank fishing here and there off most of the roadways, and if you had an adventurous frame of mind you might be able to rough launch also.

Last edited by dwest; 09-16-2006 at 09:58 PM. Reason: second thoughts