Thread: bassin' tips
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007, 11:26 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: bassin' tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
Robert, The technique was developed first in California by Saltwater fisherman. Skeet Reese and some other California Bass Tour boys really made it popular with the redneck set on tour, when fish just wouldn't bite, they were catching and placing.

Now whether the double jeporady rig came from the saltwater boys or the freshwater boys, I could not tell you, but what I can tell you is it most definetly originated in California.

I am very envious of the competitive advantage that exists in California. The saltwater and freshwater cross-over is incredible. Until the saltwater guys taught us how to fish deep for bass, we were all clueless.

Cool place you live brother,

Sam

aka Water Rat
Water Rat,
Living out here does have its good points. It's not all peaches and cream though. Housing is outrageously expensive. If I want to go hunting I have to plan on driving several hours to get away from the urban sprawl. I'm kind of envious of your location in a lot of ways. You can probably just walk down the road and catch all kinds of fish. I'll bet you don't have to go far to go hunting either. Did you see that picture of that 9.2 lb calico bass that Ed caught?
Those calico's are some mean bass! They will kick a largemouth's butt and steal their lunch money! I'd like to see Bill Dance hook into a calico that size!
I find it kind of odd that the pro bass fishermen on T.V. never even mention
the saltwater bass fishery that we have out here. I'd say that 98% of the country doesn't even know that it exists. I guess it's probably better that way. Otherwise everyone and their brother would be out here. Calico's are slow to grow too. A fish the size of the one Ed had is well over 10 years old. Probably closer to 20. Almost no one that I know keeps calico's to eat. We like to c&r them.

Robert