Thread: Reels
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 12:12 AM
Home Guard

Piranha is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Reels

Hey Steve!,
Right now the Curado 300 DSV is one of my favorite reels. It's right next to my 2 Newell 220's. Maybe better!The Newells have a clicker but no level wind! They still cast great!, but there's a learning curve on casting a Newell! They are incredible casters! The Curado has no clicker but does have the level wind. I don't care about the level wind, but Curado is a casting monster! I have 30 lb. spectra topped with 15 Lb. mono. Donno how much mono I have but I can cast most of it off! (50 yards?) I need to put more! The Curado also is phenomenal casting very light lures. It's almost like a spinning reel. I have the Curado on an 8' Loomis rod and the spectra kept wrapping around the guides. Drove me crazy. So I topshotted it with mono and that eliminated the problem! BTW, I noticed most Calcuttas are available with or without level wind. I have a Corvalus 300(No clicker) and a Corvalus 400, with clicker. But after using the Curado, those reels are retired! The Curado is light years ahead of the Corvalus! I have 2 Penn 500 Jigmasters I occasionally use for live bait fishing. They provide me with nostalgia! We used them when I was a kid on Cape Cod! I have a Quantum Heavy Metal I rarely use. I think that's the name! It's high speed and I use it for deep water , Sand dabs and rockfish!

Last edited by Piranha; 08-28-2007 at 12:15 AM. Reason: spelling