View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 07:40 AM
TEAM OEX

Matt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My thoughts on the OK Trident 15

Straight up best fishing kayak I have ever fished!!!! And yes I am fishing for AYS so yes I am sponsored to fish an OK now, but that doesn't mean that the boat doesn't kick much ass. I am definitely not some lil' guy on it either at 5'7 and 230lbs, the boat is hands down the fastest boat I have ever paddled!!!

My first day ever on the boat I headed to Mission bay to check it out, headed out into wicked winds and a ripping current, went to the back bay to look for corvina after launching from the bahia. After 2 hours of fishing in somewhat lackluster conditions and getting a few good sized spots, started to paddle back to where I launched only to find myself paddling against the tide and the wind. As I started paddling against both the wind and the tide, I very easily maintained a 4mph-4.5mph(gps monitored the speed for me) average at no extra effort then I would've spent paddling on any normal day, which means I was averaging between 1.5-2mph faster than I would've in one of my old rides. The trident is just plain fast! It has a glide to it that is just awesome!

Now having spent quite a few days in LJ catching a variety of T sharks, Leopard sharks, calicos, barries, and short halibut, I can honestly say this boat is just a great fishing boat, now if I could only catch the species I actually want I would be even more stoked. The boat handled the larger sharks quite well and I never felt like I was gonna tip or get sideways. It has a slight wiggle that is different than my other boats but after 10 trips on the boat I am totally used to it now and it doesn't bother me in the least. My boat is currently set up with 4 flushmounts in the rear and a fishfinder under the sonar shield. At first I thought the rod pod was kind of a silly hatch, but as I get used to the layout I find that I like it more and more, very easy to have access to all your gear with the length of the hatch. To boat does more punching through the surf then say a prowler, but if you time everything well it is almost a non-issue. When you do take a wave to the lap the boat does just fine, now keep in mind I am not some skinny dude, so perhaps if your in the sub 200 class the boat probably goes over just fine. I currently am using a couple of different bait tanks, but am really liking the way the Shimano Bristol Bay tank fits in the tank well, it is nice and snug and with 2 deck loops is very easy to make secure. I also really like the fact that you can put a plano box in front of it, although I don't use that space or a plano box it is still quite nice to have the option, I instead store my pfd, h2o bottle, and game clips there (yes more than one game clip, I am getting optimistic in my old age). At first I was fairly skeptical about the top deck layout, and now the more I use it the more I get used to it and really do like the way it is laid out, I currently do not have any forward mounted flushmounts and am thinking that, that is probably gonna change at some point, but I don't seem to really miss them much anyway. I do like the fact that the built in paddle holders work great at either holding a paddle or a gaff, so I keep my gaff on the left and my paddle on my right when I hook up, it is very easy to get your paddle stored quickly once you get used to the system. The more I fish the boat the more comfortable I am getting on it and the more I am impressed with how the boat handles!! Gotta say if you want a fast sleek fishing boat this is the one to get!!

STRAIGHT UP THE BEST FISHING KAYAK I HAVE EVER OWNED!!!!

Matt F.

Last edited by Matt; 07-14-2008 at 08:24 AM.