View Single Post
Old 04-27-2006, 09:18 AM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Newbie looking for advice

CoreyD,
Welcome to the forums.

Both the prowler 13 and 15 are excellent kayaks, and both are very easy to convert to a fishing platform. You're right about the rudder mainly aiding you in tracking. When you get out into open water more, there is often a breeze. Sometimes it's stronger and is a good wind. That's when a rudder can really come into play. As a general rule, kayaks turn into the wind varying degrees, and it's called wind-cocking. Some kayaks are better than others. My OK M2-XL is cool for paddling solo, but it wind cocks very bad, and I have had to stroke 3 times on one side per one time on the opposite side to track straight. When you get hit by a side wind, you really notice it. Most don't use a rudder, but if more kayaks came with rudders as standard items, they would be a lot more on the water and used a whole bunch more.
I think it's one of those things where a few key people say they never saw a need for a rudder or use one, and the rest follow suit without really trying one.

For a anchor trolley getting in the way, I always just ran my trolly line from the bow to the side right by where my seat is, so it never really goes behind me much. Some anglers install them the entire length of their kayaks, but I never did and they always worked for me. I think it's a personal preference type of thing.

Paddles are where you can really make your day more enjoyable. I like the glass ones over the carbon ones, mainly because that's what I started with and have used ever since. I use the Werner Camano and it's is very light and strong for using it to push off something if you have to. Some guys really like the ONO's and Cannons as well. All are quality paddles, but I chose the Werner because I have heard of very few problems with them, and you can call them up or email them and they are good about responding. Hope this helps,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube