View Single Post
Old 11-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Home Guard

gone_fishing is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sunday at Newport or Dana Point

Sorry for the delay. Launched with my buddy from Coast Guard Beach about 6:30a.m. and fished closeby without any luck. We decide to paddle out past the jetties. I fish the beach side of the Corona Del Mar Breakwall and he fishes the tip of "The Wedge" Breakwall. I still can't buy a bite to save my life while he's having a field day with plenty of Macs and a few Bonies to boot on a Crock lure. He later tells me that a fellow yaker tells him that Saturday saw a wide open Bonita bite. I decide to head back into the bay to see if my luck can take a swing for the better and it does. I make a stop in front of the "Reef Channel" sign and start a fast drift. First a small Calico, then a run of Sandies. A couple going at 16". I then decide to head back to the Coast Guard area for my last stop. Caught a few Spotties and a Sandy before calling it a day. All bass were caught on my lucky Bass Assassin lure. Not a bad day at all! My buddy has plenty of 'Hooping" bait for his next trip and I catch enough Catch and Release bass to go home a happy man. The weather and water conditions were outstanding. It might as well have been July. It was that good.
Perry, sorry you'll be out of the water for a few weeks. Let me know when you're headed out and maybe I can join you. See you on the water!
Hank