Thread: Fishing Crate
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 08:29 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Fishing Crate

Alot of anglers with certain models of kayaks, or those who are temporarily using a kayak for some reason may opt for using a fishing crate as a means of carrying some rods and gear. Most fishing crates will have rod holders attached to it, but I used a Scotty Triple Mounting Bar instead. I took a piece of cheap plastic cutting board and cut a piece the width of the crate and maybe 6 inches wide. I secured that to the crate, then I drilled the Scotty Triple mounting hole pattern in the board and used the stainless steel hardware to secure it down. For securing the crate to the deck, instead of bungee's or turn buckles, I opted for a set of inexpensive tie down straps like you use to secure your kayak to a roof rack, and added 4 brass clips and was done. I mounted a Fish Finder puck in the hull, and run the wires over the lip of the front hatch opening, and the rubber cover keeps more of the water out of the hull. To mount the FF head, I used a Scotty #241 mount towards the bottom, then one of their #272 FF posts, then secured the FF head mount to that. It keeps the FF head low, and the connector to the FF head plugs into the back, so I run it through a opening in the crate diamond pattern and I'm set. Because the #241 mount is mounted sideways on the side of the crate, the #272 FF post cannot rotate any longer, but to remove the FF head, I just loosen a plastic knob on each side of the head and separate it from the mount.

There's alot of ways to setup a fishing crate, and you may opt for the traditional PVC rod holders etc..etc. As with most kayak rigging, there are numerous way to accomplish essentially the same result. I had alot of Scotty stuff around and just started putting it together. Eventually I may just go with a Rhynobar and start over, who knows.
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube