View Single Post
Old 03-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: New Yak and fish finder

Welcome to the forums . Real briefly, if you want a kayak that you can stand up in for any length of time, you may want to go with one that has some width to it. Some models in my mind would include the Ocean Kayak Big Game, Cobra Kayaks Fish-N-Dive and the Malibu Kayaks X-Factor. I've owned all three models and one time or another. IMHO, For weight, heaviest to lightest would be the Big Game, X-Factor then the Fish-N-Dive. For thickness of plastic, they would be in the same order. For storage, they would all be about the same. For comfort, the only thing some find annoying on the Fish-N-Dive is while they have the largest center hatch, your feet are also spread wide apart. With the X-Factor and Big Game you have the ability to move your feet around pretty good in the cockpit because they use foot pegs instead of molded in footwells. If you really going to be standing alot, you may not even want the center hatch put in, I dunno. If you may want a rudder to help your drifts, the Big Game and X-Factor can be fitted with one, the Fish-N-Dive cannot as far as I know.

I also use an Eagle fish finder, and really like it. It has worked well and I have moved it from kayak to kayak a few times and everything still works good. Theres other good units out there, but without using them alot, I can't really recommend one. Hope this helps,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube