View Single Post
Old 05-13-2006, 09:42 PM
Free Swimmer

StocktonDon is on a distinguished road
Default Summery down 20 feet freediving? Newbie asks advice.

I am sure time will sort this all out, but I am trolling for some suggestions.

For shallow freshwater rivers and lake areas where I intend to wade I have some good breathable waders, which I can combo with a wading belt, spray jacket, various under layers and pfd.

For the ocean I have: a spray jacket and pfd. I intend to freedive fairly often, and also assume I will be in and out of the water for various reasons voluntary and otherwise.

To freedive I will wear a wetsuit, and all I have is an old heavy, stiff, 7mm job from my SCUBA days. If I get a modern and appropriate freedive wetsuit (probably a 3mm cheapie to be sure I still can and want to be active in the sport), will that work for ocean kayaking? Will other stuff be more appropriate (and if so, what)?

Yes, the classes will recommend something, but they are kayak fishing- oriented, not kayak freediving-and-fishing oriented. I have asked for their recommendations and they universally tout farmer john wetsuits with wetsuit tops and hoods for colder stuff.

My freediving sources are pointing me away from farmer johns toward a full suit with integral hood., I am not going to be able to buy both soon.

Then there are the drysuit advocates.

P.S. I seem to be between sizes for most wetsuits: 6’2” in height, 240 pounds, 50 inch chest, 32 inch inseam. If buying a non-custom wetsuit, should I go to the bigger or the smaller size?

Newbie would appreciate words of wisdom.