Thread: Dana Point 8/20
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Default Dana Point 8/20

After a few misfires, I finally got on the water about 7am, not too late to chase hali's. The plan was to throw plastics for some bass, then troll some frozen anchovies for the butts.

The water was like glass in the morning which made getting out by the buoys a fast trip. There was a pick on the bass going on, but there were just too many macs to make it fun. After scoring a few bass on 3 inch shrimp, I tried using anchovies where I was for immediate mac hookups...not what I was looking for. However, with bug season just around the corner, a return trip with as 5 gallon bucket may be in order

I paddled to the rivermouth with a dozen anchovies left and high hopes of no more macs tearing up my frozen bait. Well, not a mac a drop but a shark a drop one after another. Shovelnose, smoothhounds and leopards chowed down my offerings in short fashion. Moving in a bit and out farther abit didn't matter, the bottom must look like a freeway of fins. Most were smallish, but I got a few that were pretty good sized that gave me a sleigh ride for a few minutes. Off the water about noonish, and met Nate who was heading out in a grey MK Pro Explorer that he bought off Corey at MOS...man it's a small world at times.

PerryC.
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube