All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Kayak Fishing Chit-Chat

Old 09-30-2006, 11:48 PM
Free Swimmer

StocktonDon is on a distinguished road
Default Crew (aka darn cat) reminds Captain to choose again.

Crew (aka darn cat) was gearing up for night patrol when he saw something was wrong: Purchasing Officer was leaving Captain’s office with a little smirk on his pasty white face. Never a good sign. Worse, PO had a little spring in his step. Uh-oh.

Crew left off sharpening his personal weapons, gave his uniform a quick once-over lick, and started toward Captain’s office. It was too quiet.

Crew asked permission to enter with a regulation two-scratch on the doorframe. Captain was sitting behind his desk and took a moment to react. “Come in, Crew. What do you need?”

[“Saw PO leaving. His mood was too good.” Crew cocked an ear, and waited.]

Captain studied the evidence of his problem:

On Saturday, far out of town, the Taurus transport had failed catastrophically on the freeway and taken a head gasket with it. It was towed to the Found On Road Dead repair facility and parked outside until the facility opened on Monday. Repairs apparently complete, on the first test it became clear the water pump was not functioning – when the second head gasket failed.

After a water pump transplant and second head repair, the transport was apparently roadworthy again. As the Taurus was being driven, Captain noticed the gas gauge was showing empty and pulled over to fill ‘er up. The missing gas cap was the first clue, but Captain figured that was small potatoes, unfortunately the gas pouring out on the asphalt was the second clue that all was not well.

A quick inspection showed the gas fill line had been cut. Calling the repair facility yielded the intelligence that: it had happened there before and personnel had noticed a large stain under the transport when it was rolled into the shop. None of this had been brought to Captain’s attention, nor had the repair team thought to investigate the clues. Captain coordinated calls to the insurance company (vandalism claim), law enforcement (sheriff); and soon, the tow truck and rental car folks.

The financial result was unexpected. The first repair was not the result of any covered occurrence, so the first tow was not either. The second repair did not exceed the deductible, so neither it or the second tow or rental car expense was covered. Some fine print about road coverage being cancelled because of two claims so close in time, regardless of the cause of either claim.

Bottomline: resources earmarked for the new Hobie Adventure Island kayak were required to get the transport vehicle back on the road.

“So, Crew, I don’t know where the funds for the new boat are coming from.”

Captain didn’t want to think his own thoughts for a while, so he watched Crew closely. Crew sat with the special silence which meant he was keeping emotion at bay while thinking furiously how to deal with a sudden challenge. Captain knew Crew was reflexively using a cat-fu mental discipline, aware of everything and nothing, ready to react faster-than-thought if required. Then some un-definable change in the silence drew Captain’s attention to Crew’s calm eyes.

[“You know I do not understand money, Captain, so I have no ideas along those lines. But I do know that money and boats are just things, and that lack of either is just a circumstance of this material world. What is important is not the things and circumstances but how we choose: to let them define who we are, or not. I see you are tempted to let these things and circumstances define you as a failure; I say, choose again.”]

“That won’t hang a kayak in the transport bay, Crew.” [“Then make a choice that will, or choose contentment without the boat – at least for a while.”]

“A bit too Eastern for me, Crew, but I get your drift. One thing is sure, I won’t give PO or The Admiralty the satisfaction of any public concern over the finance shortfall.” [Crew listened as Captain unconsciously assumed his command voice, watching Captain take command of himself with those words. Mission accomplished.]

“Aren’t you late for patrol, Crew!” But Crew was already out the door, ready to encounter whatever the night presented.