All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 08-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about
Default San Diego Bay (Shelter Island) 8/19

Jackie,Bob,Steve,Drew,& I launched at 6:30 A.M. The parking lot was jammed with trucks with boat trailers attached. Apparently the fishing is good offshore.
We paddled out to the main channel straight out from the pier in 40 ft of water. The water temp was around 70 degrees. We started with the dropshot and got into the fish right away. Bass, sculpin, halibut, and those damn lizard fish.

We picked up some nice fish. Here is Jackie with a nice spottie she caught on the dropshot.
We drifted out to the area between the battleship moorings and the ammunition
pier off of North Island. I switched over to the 3" shrimp on a 1/2 oz leadhead.

I picked up a bunch of bass including this nice sandbass. We saw some birds working in close to shore next to the battleship moorings. We moved over
there and started fishing. My first cast with the 3" nuclear chicken shrimp
resulted with an instant hookup on a just legal halibut that I released. We caught several more fish there before we decided to call it a day around 11:30. It was overcast most of the day and the wind held off until around 11:00 A.M. Afterwards we had a few beers and and a some BBQ hot dogs.
Good stuff! It was a great day on the water with some great friends!

I ended up with 40+ bass, 1 halibut around 22", 1 fat sculpin, and a bunch of lizard fish. All fish released. Some darn good fishing! We are going to hit La Jolla tomorrow in the yaks!

Robert

Last edited by Robert; 08-19-2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:42 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: San Diego Bay (Shelter Island) 8/19

Robert,
Thanks for the report and letting us know how the fishing is down there. I got my car back at 3pm so fishing today was a bust for me. I have the 13' prowler loaded on the car for tomorrow and can't decide to CNR some bass or hit my friends secret halibut hole and poach it. Ah, decisions...decisions

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube