All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 07-28-2007, 11:51 PM
Barracuda

jonee523 will become famous soon enough
Default mission bay 7-26-07

Hey all,

Sorry for the late report, but I thought I'd share with everyone. Thurs was a nice day not to busy on the bay but a really bad wind out of the west that made drifts just impossible. I did see a few yakers fishing it seemed to me that most were catching small grade fish of all types. As for myself, I was able to pull 7 halis and 5 spotties. All fish were sub legal with the exception of a 13" spot. The most interesting fish today was the fish in the picture below. How did this little fish eat that big bait??????? This was the smallest fish of this type I have ever caught. I did have one fish that was almost legal at 21.5 on the tape measure. All in all a fun day on the water. Now I just need to hook up with a few of you guys and learn a few more tricks. I like live bait but I need to get better with the artificials.

Thanks for the read,

Jon

jonee523
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2007, 07:17 AM
Barnacle Bob

Tarpon guy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: mission bay 7-26-07

Hey Jon,

I'm with you. I'm looking forward to fishing with some of these guys, too. It seems like everybody uses different gear and methods than I would have ever tried and catch a lot of fish.

If you don't mind my asking, what's your technique for catching flatties with live bait? I mean the ones over 5".

"I fish because the voices in my head tell me to!"
Old 07-29-2007, 08:20 AM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough

And I can say we're looking forward to getting together and doing some fishing also with everyone. It's been too long since I've been out and down to SD for some fishing. Sharing some techniques and fish stories sounds good. You guys fish SD for the most part?

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 07-29-2007, 08:30 AM
Barracuda

For some reason I just find Mission bay to be my favorite area to fish. Dana point seems small and barren, Newport is aways to busy not to mention no avalible live bait (unless you catch it). As far as fishing Mission it easy to get live bait from the bait barge in quivera basin then out to the main channel and drift fish using carolina rigged anchovies. I do use lighter line for the most part which seems to help alot. If you want a lot of spottie action they are everywhere. They love the frenzy lures on the troll. For plastics they love christmas tree and clear red flake BH's and AA grubs. I really havent tried spinnerbaits but I'm sure they'll work too.

Well off to work,

tight lines and paddle well,

Jon

jonee523
Old 07-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road

Coming from near Disneyland, Mission Bay is about 80 miles one way. Dana has been giving up legal halis plus other fish and I think the outside will get great soon if not already.

Bait is reasonable and available.

Plus you can catch fish within 100 yards of launch and fish all the way in and back.

I don't think either DP or NPB is barren by any stretch - I do think you have to put your time in and try different techniques and gear.

It may be that Mission Bay is just a lot easier.

Steve
Old 07-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Barnacle Bob

Tarpon guy will become famous soon enough

Perry,

I'm sorry to say I havn't fished south of Long Beach for many years. Mostly from San Pedro to Big Sur.

It would be great to fish Newport, Dana or SD, any time!

"I fish because the voices in my head tell me to!"
Old 07-30-2007, 12:09 AM
Barracuda

Steve,

Your right about my descripions of Dana and NPH. I haven't spent enough time to learn either place. I just read you post on Dana, I really need to invest the time and just fish and learn to catch whats there.

30 lb Hali's yahoooooooo

Jon