All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Kayak Fishing Chit-Chat

Old 03-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Baitfish

Paddlefish is on a distinguished road
Question New Yak and fish finder

I'm looking @ a yak (my first ) and a fish finder to go on it . I mostly fish small lakes and ponds possibly a stretch of river ,but mostly calm water . I have been looking @ sot's for a few years and seen the one I thought would be ideal last year @ Gander Mountain . Next a fish finder thinking about one from eagle that has Gps and removeable transducer (I want to save points for ice fishing with the same fish finder).I definately want stable as standing up will happen ,pole holders are a must along with storage space . Any help would be appreciated ,Bud
Old 03-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: New Yak and fish finder

Welcome to the forums . Real briefly, if you want a kayak that you can stand up in for any length of time, you may want to go with one that has some width to it. Some models in my mind would include the Ocean Kayak Big Game, Cobra Kayaks Fish-N-Dive and the Malibu Kayaks X-Factor. I've owned all three models and one time or another. IMHO, For weight, heaviest to lightest would be the Big Game, X-Factor then the Fish-N-Dive. For thickness of plastic, they would be in the same order. For storage, they would all be about the same. For comfort, the only thing some find annoying on the Fish-N-Dive is while they have the largest center hatch, your feet are also spread wide apart. With the X-Factor and Big Game you have the ability to move your feet around pretty good in the cockpit because they use foot pegs instead of molded in footwells. If you really going to be standing alot, you may not even want the center hatch put in, I dunno. If you may want a rudder to help your drifts, the Big Game and X-Factor can be fitted with one, the Fish-N-Dive cannot as far as I know.

I also use an Eagle fish finder, and really like it. It has worked well and I have moved it from kayak to kayak a few times and everything still works good. Theres other good units out there, but without using them alot, I can't really recommend one. Hope this helps,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 03-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Baitfish

Default Re: New Yak and fish finder

It definately helps , my biggest concern is not being able to try one first , meaning the kayak . The fish finder is something I know a little more about . As far as fish-ability and portability what one ,counting pros and cons would you recommend I'm 5'7" around #200-#220 . I also plan on making a dolley to transport and haul hehind a mountain bike to state areas banned from motor vehicles ,so weight will be a factor.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: New Yak and fish finder

All three models of kayaks will accomodate someone your size very well. There are alot of other models that would also, but I think if you're going to be standing up casting or sight fishing, you'll appreciate the extra width. For kayak weight though, the Cobra Fish-N-Dive would be the lightest to carry, then I would say the X-Factor then the Big Game.

Sorry you can't try one first. It's like buying a pair of shoes without trying trying them on first. We could both wear the same shoes and have completely different opinions, but each of us be right at the same time. Good Luck with your decision,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 03-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Baitfish

I guess my next biggest concern would be the cost ,that could be a really expensive pair of shoes LOL. I may wait a while and find someone close who owns a yak so I can at least sit in one .Thanks for the help
Old 06-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Baitfish

I found a Loon 138 and got a cuda168 fish finder and a garmin venture CX gps ,so far so good boated 6 nice largemouth last friday largest was 17.5"
Old 06-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about

Paddlefish,
I used to have a Loon 138. It was a nice kayak!

Robert