All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Kayak Fishing Chit-Chat

Old 06-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Barracuda

jonee523 will become famous soon enough
Default Bait tank timer

Hey all,

I just wanted to report on the bait tank timer that I ordered from cabela's. It works just as described on the web site. You have run to fill you tank, then cycle. Cycle will start at off cycle then turn on for 30sec. then off again for 3min. It worked well enough, but I think I need a 6v batt. (see another thread). The 12v just pumps too much so the bait gets beat up alot.

Jon
Old 06-21-2007, 10:46 PM
Barracuda

jonee523 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bait tank timer

Just thought to let every one know that the timer worked great. But after the second trip I think water got into the switch and now only the run part works. If your going to use this switch you gotta get a cover for the switch it self. I went to a dual 6volt 4.5ah battery system with a switch cover using a reg toggle and that seems to work even better. Again the 12v system with the timer switch worked great till it died from exposure. The switch was the cabela's one for 29.99. I'm gonna return it and try it again with a cover this time. Let ya know how it works in a couple of weeks.

Jon

ps. The cabela's switch will not work with the 6volt battery system.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:59 AM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road

I think he switch will work with dual 6volts - you have to wire the pump in parallel and the switch in serial. If that doesn't mean anything to you call me and I will try to diagram it out for you.

Steve 760-672-7607
Old 07-24-2007, 09:58 AM
"I brake for Halibut"

mrJB is on a distinguished road

I've been using the 30 sec. on/3 min. off type timer for about a year now and, knock on wood, all is working well. I do keep the electronics covered - not waterproof but splashproof, and I think that makes the difference. Also, I'm using the full 12 volts, but I keep my inlet fitting (HomeDepot/Lowes variety) pointed downward, and that doesn't seem to overly stress the bait.
Some options - waterproof box from most Walmarts - the small size is enough room for the timer/switch electronics - about $5 and change. Additional flow restrictors for the inlet - put a series of small holes in a cap for the inlet or add additional holes to a garden bubbler... hope this is some help
John
Old 07-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Bait tank timer

I know we went a different route, but since I switched from using a 12 battery to a 6 volt battery the bait lasts alot longer and doesn't get beat up nearly as much as it did with the 12 volt pump. Just for reference, I'm using the Rule360 pump on it. Keeping the timer splashproof if not waterproof is a very good idea. Even with units that look sealed, a bit of seepage can cry havoc with electronics. TC&TL,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube