All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 07-20-2007, 08:01 AM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road
Default Reels

I have a Curado 201 DHSV (left-hand drive) 7:1 ratio which I like very much. I am running 6 pound on it right now but will change to 10 or 12 most likely. My only complaint is lack of clicker.

I know Piranah and Perry like the 300 Curado. Is that overkill for most of the fish we get in DP & NPB?
Old 07-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Home Guard

Default Re: Reels

I use the left hand reels to cast to the left with my right arm so that I do not have to change hands to start cranking AND the handle is close to my body. I use a right-hand reel for my trolling and have the rod out to my right - again so that the handle is next to my body and more easy to reach (I usually cast with my left hand going right so that I am less-inclined to capsize myself following through).

Steve
Old 07-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Reels

SS,
I got the 300 for using 50lb spectra or 20lb mono with the drag buttoned down. I'm planning on beating up the bass in the rocks and kelp with it. For what you mentioned, it would probably be overkill, but the 200 would be a sweet reel for the line sizes you mentioned.

The clicker problem is just that. Only certain manufacturers put them on reels that handle 10-12lb really nice. It's like you find a really sweet reel, but no clicker alot of the times. It's like alot of the reels are just half of what you want. That's what I liked about the Abu's, they have clickers on alot of their models. Please let us know what you come up with. TC&TL,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 07-20-2007, 04:38 PM
Home Guard

Perry:

For the trolling I use a Penn 975 LD and 30# spectra with Ultima Soft Steel mono on top. The Ultima is 15# diameter and 20# test mono. Very soft (I use 30# flurocarbon for last 3 feet) and flexible. The lever drag and clicker lets you put any tension you want on the clicker to troll a big mackerel or whatever. The small line diameter produces less drag to let the bait or lure stay down with less weight. Got a used reel for $100.

My other trolling reel for kayak is a Shimano TR 1000 LD Charter Special with 50# spectra and 29# Ultima on it. Not as smooth as the Penn 975 but works fine. I think it lists for $119.00. I had a TR2000LD and got rid of it because it was too wide for the kayak.

Both reels have level wind which I consider required. I have enough to keep track of without worrying that my line is coming on the reel smoothly. Neither reel is a great casting reel and neither is a low profile like the Curado.

Steve
Old 07-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Barracuda

jonee523 will become famous soon enough

Hey all,

I guess I'm gonna give my 2 cent too. After getting my yak I decide to buy some gear just for fishing on her. Well, I ended up with 3 new reels.
1) curado 100b, good reel for 6lb and fishing lighter lures and finese.
2) curado 200 dpv, great reel use 8-10 lb fishing live bait and bigger lures.
3) luna 253, Perfect in all respects very versatile.

My only gripe is on the curados the level wind does not move when line is paying out. (A fish taking drag). This can create add'l pressure on the line which can and has caused me to mention this here.

To the Curado's benefit they are strong reels the 100b landed that 19.9lb halibut with 6lb test.

Anyway tight lines,

Jon
Old 08-24-2007, 08:43 PM
Home Guard

Thursday did a tour of Avet factory with the Oceanside Senior Anglers - very impressive. Unlike most reels, Avet recommends you soak in fresh water after fishing the salt. Rubber sealed bearings. You then crank the reel and move the various parts (clicker, etc.) and then take ALL drag off (free spool) for storage. The drag surfaces are huge and they get BETTER with heavy use. AVET suggests cranking down the drag and pulling out lots of line QUICKLY. Their test was tying to a truck and driving a quarter mile at 30mph and then doing it again!
Old 08-27-2007, 06:40 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Reels

SS,
Touring the Avet factory sounds cool. I bet they had some serious machines making the parts. I look at what I worked with 20 years ago for mills and lathes and what they have now and it is no comparison, it's amazing.

Everyone who I talked to who uses Avet reels really like them. I'm looking at reels for a 15lb stick and will see if they have something small enough that holds just a couple hundred yards of line. Right now, a Newell 220-5 looks good, but you never know.

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 08-28-2007, 12:12 AM
Home Guard

Piranha is on a distinguished road

Hey Steve!,
Right now the Curado 300 DSV is one of my favorite reels. It's right next to my 2 Newell 220's. Maybe better!The Newells have a clicker but no level wind! They still cast great!, but there's a learning curve on casting a Newell! They are incredible casters! The Curado has no clicker but does have the level wind. I don't care about the level wind, but Curado is a casting monster! I have 30 lb. spectra topped with 15 Lb. mono. Donno how much mono I have but I can cast most of it off! (50 yards?) I need to put more! The Curado also is phenomenal casting very light lures. It's almost like a spinning reel. I have the Curado on an 8' Loomis rod and the spectra kept wrapping around the guides. Drove me crazy. So I topshotted it with mono and that eliminated the problem! BTW, I noticed most Calcuttas are available with or without level wind. I have a Corvalus 300(No clicker) and a Corvalus 400, with clicker. But after using the Curado, those reels are retired! The Curado is light years ahead of the Corvalus! I have 2 Penn 500 Jigmasters I occasionally use for live bait fishing. They provide me with nostalgia! We used them when I was a kid on Cape Cod! I have a Quantum Heavy Metal I rarely use. I think that's the name! It's high speed and I use it for deep water , Sand dabs and rockfish!

Last edited by Piranha; 08-28-2007 at 12:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-30-2007, 08:08 AM
Home Guard

Just back from 2-day on Pacific Voyager - 20 guys - 175+ Albacore 30 pound average!

I brought 6 albies plus only Bluefin on the boat. Broke off an equal number of fish. Brought back close to 100 pounds of filet - can you say canned tuna? Actually some of the Bluefin will be sashimi.

Point - most caught on Avet SX6/4 reel with 50# spectra and 40# flurocarbon 3 foot leader. Avet says it is a 40 pound 2-speed reel and it is.

I agree with Piranha on the Curado with exception that I prefer a reel where the level wind goes back and forth on the cast as well as the retrieve. If you don't watch and put the level wind in the middle of the spool you have some very bad angles for the line coming off the spool.