All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 03-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Free Swimmer

hobb3s93 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation fishfinder problems

i went out on sunday at cherry beach for the baytubers tourney , and the thing is, my ff was reading the bottom perfectly but i wasnt reading any fish . i caught at least 15 croaker in the shallows and when i was pedaling around in the outback out to the islands for some bass, i saw baitfish boils once in a while when there was a sea lion , but i never picked up on anything above the bottom. im wondering if its the transducer, or just the setting i have it on or what. i have a humminbird pirana max240. my bro was out at the same time with all the same gear, (different yak though) and he said he saw fish once in a while. can anyone help?
Old 03-20-2007, 09:09 AM
Baitfish

spooky007 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: fishfinder problems

Check your sensitivity and fish i.d. is on. I remember the first time I went out and I didn't have those on and only could get structure readings.

Al
Old 03-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough

What Spookey said is right on IMHO. All models are different, but on some if your fish ID is off, they'll show as a mark on the screen, but that's it. The air bladder in the fish is what the ff's see, so if you cruise over a halibut or other fish on the bottom, you may not see them because they may have a smaller bladder than your ff is set to see, and there may not be enough separation between them and the bottom in addition to that. If you got a good strong signal of the bottom, a setting may be off or maybe there just wasen't that many fish above the bottom to register. I know Humminbird has a pretty decent online help for this subject on their website that may help out.

How was the fishing at Cherry?? Inquirey minds want to know...

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 03-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Free Swimmer

hobb3s93 is on a distinguished road

ok thanks guys, i got the setting right this time , and the fishing was pretty good i got about 15 of these little croaker things in the shallows on squid, a short butt over by the island, and i got one major hit on a yellow lead-head root bear colored grub that had my rod bend-o for about 45 seconds. it was in about 35 ft of water on a drop-off into 65 foot deep water. there were no head shakes, but a small amount of line got pulled out of the reel. good signs of life at cherry. all in all it was a good day, and this upcoming weekend i hope to get out somewhere in 'bu to fish some paddies. any suggestions for bait or location would be great.