All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Fishing Kayaks Forums > All Hobie Kayaks

Old 12-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Baitfish

Not2Day is on a distinguished road
Cool Question for the Hobie Experts

I'm looking to buy a Hobie Kayak for fishing. I'm particularly interested in the Adventure and the Revolution. I live in Alabama and have been kayak fishing for a little over a year (absolutely love it). I currently have a Tarpon 120 rigged for fishing and a Hobie Mirage classic 02 model that I purchased recently for touring the lakes. I figured out after I bought it that it isn't great for fishing due to limited accessible cargo. My wife seems to like pedaling verses paddling so it will probably become hers (she is also using a tarpon 120 but doesn't fish).
The problem is I don't know which Hobie to buy. The price difference isn't enough to sway me either way and I haven't seen the adventure in person. I drove over 100 miles to the nearest Hobie dealer and they didn't have an adventure available. I did get to look at the Revolution. Getting a demo any time in the near future is probably a long shot. So I thought I would call on the experts for the pros and cons of each.

I like my Tarpon and will continue to use it (I think) but the mirage drive appeals to me. I fished from the mirage classic one time and loved the mobility, I was to the far end of the lake in half the time. And I really liked being able to fish and keep the kayak steady in the wind without fumbling with a paddle but I had a tough time getting to my tackle.

By the way, I fish mostly lakes with the occasional trip down the creeks and small rivers and maybe a once a year trip to the gulf coast.

Any advice/pros/cons would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone knows of a good deal on a new or used Hobie, feel free to PM me.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Home Guard

kobra is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question for the Hobie Experts

For the type of fishing you plan on doing most, I would go with the revo for the manueverability.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Baitfish

Not2Day is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply kobra. I am planning on keeping my Tarpon for when I get on the creeks and rivers. I'll be using the Hobie for fishing and touing the larger lakes. I am leaning a little more towards the revolution though.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Home Guard

Too bad you can't demo both boats. That would have been nice. Good luck. Both nice yaks.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Baitfish

thereese is on a distinguished road

I am looking into either a tarpon 120 or a revolution. For mostly rivers would the mirage drive be worth the extra 5 or 6 hundred dollars? I plan on doing some weekend camping trips as well. I am primarily on rivers in texas. thanks!
Old 01-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Home Guard

Hi reese. Yeah, I would say the mirage drive would definitely be worth it. Especially in rivers as you can hold your position in the current and have both hands free to fish.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Baitfish

thereese is on a distinguished road

Cool, thanks for the info!