All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Kayak Fishing Chit-Chat

Old 05-30-2006, 02:47 PM
Baitfish

flynfox is on a distinguished road
Default Transducer Mount

Hello all,

I mounted a transducer yesterday using GOOP. I tried to follow all the recommendations that I found in various places and thought all was well. When I checked it today (about 28 hours later) I found numerous small bubbles near the surface of the epoxy around the perimeter of the puck.

Will it be OK or should I just pop it off and try again?

Thanks,

Stuart
Old 05-30-2006, 04:42 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Transducer Mount

Stuart,
Until you see what the display shows, it's hard to say if it's Ok or not. I have the same small bubbles around the perimeter of the puck installation on my Malibu2-XL, but the fish finder works well to this day. I would really lean towards using it a few times and see if you get a constant depth reading , constant vertical line or what looks like a temperature break. Please keep us up to date with the outcome in case someone else could benefit from your experience with this situation. Thanks in advance,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 05-31-2006, 04:10 AM
Baitfish

flynfox is on a distinguished road

Perry,

Thanks for the reply. The more I looked at it the more I doubted myself and ended up popping it off. I'm gonna try again once I peel all the goop off. I might even try another method. I will let the board know what happens.

Thanks again,

Stuart
Old 05-31-2006, 04:24 PM
Home Guard

Piranha is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys, I rigged mine last Saturday with the "cup of water" method. It works great! You can remove the transducer when you come ashore! Hotchkiss(Kenny) helped me a lot! I got a tupperware soup bowl a lil bigger than my transducer, cut a hole in the bottom and gooped it to the hull inside! I drilled a hole in the tupperware lid, passed the cable through the hole and used that to hold the transducer in place. When I got on the water I filled the bowl with water, dropped the transducer in, closed the lid, and "Voila!" Perfection! I could see all the fishies in 200+ feet of water last Sunday at Redondo. So I fed them! Piranha
Old 05-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough

Jerry,
Thanks for the input, and I'm sure the fishies appreciated getting fed. If you get a photo of the install, please shoot me an email with an attachment and I'll get the photo(s) showing your handy work it posted up. It sounds like a viable alternative to the more traditional/common ways of glueing the puck down, and I'd like to share it with our readers. TC&TL,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube