All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 12-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Free Swimmer

PAL is on a distinguished road
Default MLPA update, Dec 2008

It’s been a while since I’ve checked in with an update on the MLPA. In the past couple of months the Regional Stakeholder’s Group has met twice. No line drawing so far – you can expect that to start in February.

MJ Kennedy and I have enjoyed those many, long hours of meetings on your behalf. If you’d like to get a taste of them, you can view a video archive online. Just type “DFG MLPA” into Google and follow the meeting links.

Ecotrust is processing their survey data – kayak angler turnout was exceptional, thanks! We also have our own map of kayak fishing launch sites and fishing areas. We’re working with other segments of the broader fishing community to identify essential sites and locate those areas we don’t want to but must offer as closure candidates. I feel the kayak fishing community is as ready as we can be as the tough work approaches.

Other info. We’re still awaiting the Science Advisory Team’s ‘rules’ for Southern California. This concerns the size and spacing required for reserves to meet the Act’s conservation requirements. We may learn this on Dec 17.

The next Stakeholder group meeting is in San Diego on January 13 and 14, location still TBD. Public comment is taken immediately following lunch, usually around 1 pm. Please come if you have something constructive to say to the Stakeholder Group or the MLPA staff. I’m not asking anyone to turn out until the cards are on the table, when we can see which areas we’ll have to fight for.

Please feel free to contact me via PM – I’ll do my best to get back to you promptly. The KFACA email has been unreliable lately – we’re working on that. Thanks again for all you’ve done to help preserve kayak fishing opportunity and access as we deal with the MLPA.

Paul

Paul Lebowitz
Kayak Fishing Association of California