All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Kayak Fishing Chit-Chat

Old 06-24-2007, 03:15 PM
Barnacle Bob

Tarpon guy will become famous soon enough
Default Noodle paint saver

I don't know where I first heard about this type of thing, but it has saved my SUV paint job a couple of times.

When I need to load a 'yak or two solo, it is ok as long as the wind doesn't gust. I have to extend my arms all the way, up and out, to put the 'yak in position to drop it on the rack. Once while I was doing this, a gust of wind caught the boat and I lost my grip on it. It started to fall down, scratching the SUV paint. I stopped it, but not until it had left a few nasty scratches.

Now I hang the noodles from the rack before I start lifting. They make a nice cushion and have prevented any more damage.

To make them I cut one long pool noodle in half. I ran poly rope through the hole that was already running down the center of the noodle. I attached a hook on one end and knotted the rope at the other end, inside the noodle. I finished by pouring a little Marine Goop around the knot to secure it in the noodle. Even if the noodle did not have a hole in the center, it would be possible to slice the noodle lengthwise, lay the rope in place, apply Marine Goop and secure for drying with several rubber bands.

Hope this helps!

Bob
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2007, 05:53 AM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Noodle paint saver

Thanks for the post As simple as it is, I bet it works well for preventing the dreaded dings on the sides or top of the vehicle. I load the yak on a Tundra so I know the feeling of being at arms reach when placing the kayak on or off the rack. One little miscalculation or anything and smack it goes. Great photos.

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 07-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Home Guard

gone_fishing is on a distinguished road

Great idea! I have a SUV and was wondering how to solo load my yak. Thanks for sharing TG!

Hank

Old 07-09-2007, 01:12 AM
Baitfish

herbo is on a distinguished road

Bob, excellent idea, gonna try it on my van,thanx