All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 12-06-2006, 09:27 AM
Predator

Needlefish will become famous soon enough
Default "Tackle box" question

Need ideas for upgrading my tackle system while kayak fishing...........This is my "evolution"............ what is everyone doing ?

1) When I first got my yak, I used a regular Plano tackle box. Obviously too bulky and almost lost it a couple of times in the surf. Not a good choice!

2) Changed to soft tackle bag that held 4 plastic storage containers.......better, but found out zippers would get sand and salt in them and would not open/close. I even broke a few zippers on one unit.

3) Just used plastic storage units and velcro to bottom to kayak deck. Good if you have one unit, but I have 3.........one for plastics, one jigs, one spinner baits. Too many units using too much deck space. Also tried to bungee boxes together, but if I wanted to access one, then the other 2 are loose and get knocked around.

4) Got rid of velcro on storage units and just put them in my milk crate box that I use for my dry bag, drift sock, etc. Good idea but not easily accessible since the box is behind my seat. Having the crate in front of me toward the bow seems ackward.

Sorry for sounding like a perfectionist........ guess I'm looking for accessiblity (something in front of me), durability, stackability, that does not impede paddleing/fishing..........any ideas ?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Baitfish

hira16s is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Tackle box" question

konnnichiha hajimema****e 

I think that the bag with the fastener is a good method. It is thought that it is also good to use a small plastic case. There is no method of the recommendation that this is the best. First of all, it is necessary that I choose the tool brought in to be a small amount as much as possible before getting on my kayak.

Good fishing hira16s
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2006, 05:41 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough

Needlefish,
I can't remember, you have a tandem model kayak don't you??
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 12-07-2006, 08:52 AM
Predator

Yea, Perry I have 2..........one tandem and one solo. Just trying to find a tackle system that isn't clumsey.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Baitfish

Stevek is on a distinguished road

Keep your most used stuff close and rest in the tankwell. sit-ins can use your front bungees and keep everything else stuffed in front of your feet and behind the seat. When freshwater fishing I use 3 poles, 1 for plinking Yum Dingers, 1 for Rat-l-traps and crankbaits, and 1 for spinnerbaits. I keep a small 4x6 plano box with my second choice of each style of lures. When saltwater fishing I have 3 poles two rigged for T&W 1 with weight and 1 without, and I keep a light spinning setup in the rod holder in from of me for quick casting into schools. Many guys have TOO MUCH junk on their yaks, much of it is not needed. Leave room for fishing without worrying about dropping stuff overboard

Tighlines Steve
Bassyaks Tarpon 140
Bassyaks Pungo 120
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Moss Back

Incredible will become famous soon enough

I use a couple of Plano Boxes attached together with a small cutting board attached to the top box and this is attached to my kayak with industrial Velcro. I can open each box independently without unsecuring anything to get to my tackle. Use Marine Goop to attach the boxes and cutting board together.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2006, 07:18 AM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road

The Hobie now has hinged round hatches. I drill 1/4" hole through the honeycomb underside of the hatch and attach a short leash from there to a plano box with a hole drilled in the hinge-side plastic flange. You can also leave on the hanging piece that comes new. I use two boxes inside the hatch and pull whichever one I want out with the leash.

I agree about cutting down on the stuff carried. I was using 2 standard and 1 large Plano waterproof boxes. Now down to one or two standard boxes.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:09 PM
Predator

Thanks for the feedback guys...............very helpful
Old 07-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road

I have cut back further with one of the Hobie round trays in my 8" hatch and below that one plano box with more jigs and swimbaits in it.

I try to put everything I will use for the trip in the Hobie container on top. The other stuff is backup.