All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 07-16-2008, 06:40 PM
TEAM OEX

Matt is on a distinguished road
Default LJ July 16

Well headed on out to LJ this morning, met Vito B, D-50, Yanni, Thien, Rastrev et. al. a fishy bunch of dudes to say the least!! With a big old tidal swing, wind chop, and some current things were set to say the least, I had high, high hopes for us all. Quickly made some great greenbacks at the pier and loaded up!

As I was making my way out you could see a massive, and I do mean just MASSIVE flock of birds just going freakin' hog wild about a mile out in roughly 120' or so of water. Did the quick paddle out in the Trident 15 and got a radio holler from Rastrev saying he just got a big ol' bump on the iron! Get out there to not only discover huge amounts of birds and mixed baits.....but also SQUID! Crazy **** is going on, quickly make candy baits and throw one down on the deadstick iron, see Vito B get a big ol' bendo only to find a bat ray on the end of his line.....as the trend continues Rastrev pulls another bat ray on up....and then finally I nail a bat ray, as I land mine I threw on the polarized glasses to look down and just see the most massive amount of bat rays schooling everywhere, you could've walked across the water 20' down!!! Freaky stuff.

Headed on over to the bull kelp where there have been some fish caught as of late, all for one smashed bait and a helluva zing that didn't stick!

Nice day on the water and fun to be out with a great group of guys all chatting with each other on the radio and sharing some info on what they were seeing....reminded me of some old times!! Great fishing with you all despite the results!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Wilderness Pro Staff

Siebler is on a distinguished road
Default Re: LJ July 16

Austin and I went through a school of rays like that 3 or 4 years ago over the canyon. Absolutely amazing how many there were and how tightly they were swimming. Pretty cool.
HOW SoCal Coordinator - www.Heroesonthewater.org

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff
YakAttack Pro Staff
Izorline International Pro Staff