All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 07-14-2006, 06:28 PM
Baitfish

Aaron&Julie is on a distinguished road
Default A pair of 'tails

Did the 4:30AM La Jolla launch solo since Julie needed to study for an exam this morning.
Easy greenies at the first can, and I was fishing before 6:00AM. Surprised a few yellows as I paddled out at grey light. Not much I could do to get them as they didn't show themselves until I would see huge swirls a few feet in front of the yak. Finally spotted one I could cast to, but he seemed uninterested in my offering ('chovy colored plastic).
Made my way close to the NW corner where the pelicans were having a field day on tons of bait, which looked like mackeral, large sardines or both. The right kind didn't seem to be in the area so I worked towards the south and closer to shore.
Pretty soon I'm bit, but it doesn't feel right. I wind like mad and something's there, but it feels funny. I see why soon enough as a WSB is running my way with my bait half out of his mouth. I should have been more patient and let him eat it longer. He came within 5 feet of the yak before spooking and looked to be in the 15 lb range. Circled that area and spot a firecracker under a bull kelp ball, but he showed only mild interest in my offerings.
Minutes later I spot another puddler at the right distance for casting my yozuri plug with my bass outfit. He jumps on it. Yeehah! Hooked up on the light gear. He proceeds to wrap both my baits, but I get him on board. Here is part of him and the plug I caught him on:

About 15 lbs prior to bleeding. When I cut the plug free, my tangles come undone. Back to the troll. 30 minutes later my fly-lined greenie is hit. Another good fight ensues, but then don't all yellows seem to do that?
An 11 lber hits the deck. I keep fishing finally landing about 1:00PM.
Here's the beach shot of both fish:

Another beautiful day out there, even if the fish are still a little touchy.