All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Fishing Kayaks Forums > All Hobie Kayaks

Old 06-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Hobie Guru

steamroll is on a distinguished road
Default Hobie Kayak Rudder Upgrade

Hobie’s NEW High Performance Rudder.

By: Nathan ‘steamroll’ Clookie

Wanna quick and easy way to improve to Hobie kayak? Add a high performance sailing rudder. It’s a simple upgrade that only takes a few minutes to install. If you can operate a screwdriver, then you change out your rudder.

Before you go ripping off your current rudder blade, let me explain the reasoning behind this upgrade. In my opinion, the 2 major benefits of the larger rudder are responsiveness and its ability to turn the kayak while drifting.

The larger rudder makes turning effortless, especially in adverse conditions, and let’s face it, that is when responsiveness counts the most. The bigger blade can really dig in and force your kayak to turn even when wind, wake and current are all working against you.

I do a ton of fishing while sitting sideways in my kayak and letting the current pull me along. The high performance blade allows me to make adjustments to my drift without having paddle or pedal.

Just for fun, let’s do a side by side comparison of the stock blade and the new High Performance blade. The stock blade measures in at a respectable 11 inches tall x 5 inches wide. The upgraded blade comes in at a whopping 14 inches tall x 7 inches wide. That extra surface area does wonders.

Now that we’ve discussed the benefits, let’s talk about installation. Normally I’d refer you to your local Hobie shop for installations, but this one is easy:

1. Grab a Phillips head screwdriver and remove the six (6) screws from the top of the stock rudder blade. Set these aside, you will need them to attach the new blade.

2. Now flip the blade over and pull out the six (6) lock nuts.

3. Insert the lock nuts into your new rudder blade.

4. Line the blade up with the up/down drum and insert the six (6) screws.

5. Open up a beer. You deserve it.

That’s it. Anyone can do it.

You’re probably asking yourself “Where can I get one of those new Hobie rudder blades?” I’ll let you in on a little secret; you can get them at OEX Oceanside. Call Nate and he’ll set you up with one for the low price of $22.95. Act now and we’ll throw in a free sticker.

ANY Questions, wanna purchase this product.. call 760-721-6195

This 45 lb Yellowtail was caught by the author the 1st time he ever tried out the bigger rudder. Coincidence? I think not.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Baitfish

spotking is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hobie Kayak Rudder Upgrade

I guess that Imust have an older model rudder that doesn't have the six screws to change out to the new rudder. I bought a mirage outback used and ordered the sail rudder. Do you know if I can upgrade this rudder assembly? or whe I can find info on this? Thanks
Old 09-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Baitfish

Thinwater skinner is on a distinguished road

I need to get a rudder like that if it does in fact help you catch fish that big???
Old 12-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Baitfish

KatMan is on a distinguished road

Nice write up Steamroll. I have a couple of rides one being a Revolution so I'll check into the larger rudder based on your suggestion. Thanks