All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 03-24-2006, 05:34 PM
Livin' the Dream

seatech is on a distinguished road
Default Da Vine 3/24 w/pics

Met up with Admiral Perry himself today at Irvine and pulled my 2 sons along with me.

Day started off great. Started trolling just past the boat dock and within 2 minutes hooked up a huge fish that pulled approx 50-75 yards of line.

Never really did get to stop it.

The day then turned to total $hit as 3 morons in a rental boat decided to troll right up my stern as I am fighting the fish. Not one of the 3 people in the boat were actually looking forward as the were trolling. After yelling, screaming, whistling at them, one finally looked up at me and then they came straight at me. Next thing I know, my line is wrapped in the prop and the fish is gone. Oh well, that's Irvine lake, home of big fish and even bigger boatniks.

Still managed to salvage the day, but it was on the slow side for us.

Hit our usual spot on the west shore for a blue gill and small rainbow.

Trolled at bit more and got into the crappie:

Checked in with the admiral while he was on west shore patrol:

Found a spot in the middle of the flats and we got into some good action in the afternoon. Here is Sean netting Ryan's 2nd fish of a double hookup for each of them.

...and then a few minutes later a double, gill/bow combo:

We ended up keeping 6 fish, all on the small side

All fish were either on the troll, fire tiger rapala or on the crawlers. Nothing on plastics or jigs today.

Thanks for the invite Perry, we need more days out like this!

Ed
Old 03-24-2006, 08:19 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Default The Vine

Ed,
It was good fishing with ya'll today also. The FSR radios were a good idea and I'm glad you though of it, "The Skidmark" on the west shore was happening on the point, but it was well staked out already. I got to break in my Thomas&Thomas 6wt rod, and it was worth the trip for just that. I guess I'll have to religate the G. Loomis for my backup rod .

The day started off with me finding out one of the valves in the tube was not tight as it should have been, and it lost more air before launch that was good. I carry extra valves with me so it would have been cool even if it needed to be replaced. I recently won the T&T rod in a raffle, so I was eager to check it out. I used a type lll sinking line, which is what I normally use at Crowley but I often had to clean the moss off my fly. I trolled though the launch area for a few snags and not much else. Trout Island was about he same, but I was able to score off the West Shore while using a Muddler Minnow. I would have really liked to stay longer for the afternoon bite, but I had some family stuff to do in the afternoon, so I left after getting you on the FSR.

Until next time...
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 03-25-2006, 09:31 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about
Default Wtg

Sounds like a great day on the water! With the possible exception of the boatnicks. I'd like to take the yak up there someday.

Robert
Old 03-26-2006, 07:39 AM
Free Swimmer

Paddle and Flies is on a distinguished road

Hey Perry and Ed . Always good to take your kids fishing enjoy them while their young they grow up so fast. Irvin Lake is definitely on my list for some Southern Ca fishing. Has there ever been a yak tournament there? Perry do you take your yak there? good choice on the T&T 6wt.

Last edited by Paddle and Flies; 03-26-2006 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:51 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Irvine

Rickey,
The lake is actually very kayak friendly. There is a good amount of shore that is easy to launch from right next to the boat launch which you can also use. I've taken my kayak there several times, but tube it when I feel like fly fishing. As far as events go, They had a few events in the past that kayakers participated in and I think a few kayak and float tube events also. I think Mike King and/or Michael Klasno were involved with them or helped sponsor them ? to some point, but I don't really stay in touch with them so I don't know the extent they were involved or helped or sponsored or ?? I know Ocean Kayak and Mike King donated a kayak to a firemans event they held a few years back that I attended, but that's about it.

On another note, I saw the Double Haul in The Fall is now $80, but we're usually up there the week before or after. Do you think it's worth the 80 bones in your opinion?

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 03-26-2006, 05:44 PM
Free Swimmer

Paddle and Flies is on a distinguished road

Hey Perry,
I'll be helping with the Double Haul this year. It's the biggest round of prizes I've ever seen. A lot of good stuff.