All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Baitfish

AFARR is on a distinguished road
Default Second Kayak...what to get...

I have a Trident 13...haven't even had it out on the water (sold a Keowee..a 9'+ SInK and got it)....but my kids are expressing more of an interest in fishing.

I don't know how serious they are...but I'm already considering a second kayak.

I'm 5' 10"...235 lbs (and going DOWN!!)..

They are girls...13 and 15 (under 150 lbs)...

But....

I may have the opportunity to take other adults fishing...ranging around 6' +/- a couple of inches..and it would also be my "backup" or slightly different kayak for fishing...so not sure if it should be a bigger (15' or wider..33" kayak), or smaller (10 or 11')...

What to consider as a second fishing kayak (for mostly salt and some fresh water)?...The kids have an Ocean Kayak Yak Board (9' Wide surfing type)..and a Perception 5-0 (even more of a surf board type)...that can be used for basic freshwater fishing (especially with a dedicated angler and a father acting as the 'mother ship')...but nothing that is a dedicated Angler kayak.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of places near me (Allentown, PA) where I can try kayaks out. So, need to narrow it down to one or two, and try to find a place that stocks them for a test paddle, or at least to be able to sit in one.

Any thoughts?

I can take my time to look for used or an excellent "end of season" deal on a new yak. Just trying to get ideas..

I'm actually leaning towards something like an Ocean Kayak Big Game (bigger, wider, heavier than the Trident...but if I'm using it I'll likely have help to load or unload it...or can use it myself in rougher waters)...but I'll still consider other advice...

Thanks!!

AFARR