All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2006, 11:27 PM
Baitfish

greyloon is on a distinguished road
Default Hello from Texas.

I've visited here before when just getting into kayak fishing. I've owned float tubes since the early 70's, using them to fish for bass, bluegill (bream down here), and other fish. My kayaks include an Old Town Loon 138 and a Necky Sky 9.6' sit inside. I also have a Mohawk canoe, 17 footer that sits forlorn under my back deck. I'm retired, so money doesn't and money doesn't grow on trees around here, so my main kayak was chosen as much because it was inexpensive used, as well as stable and roomy, as anything.

I fish from sit inside kayaks and must say I love mine, especially the Loon. But, hope to buy a sit on top within the next two years. At this time, I'm looking at the Hobie Quest. Would love the Outback with the Mirage peddle system, but, even used, those are a bit too pricey for me.

Most of the time, I fish for catfish, blues and channels. My home is only 2 miles from the lake and that, as well as white bass and crappie are the best catch on Lake Houston. Thought the Gulf of Mexico is only 70 miles away and the bay fishing for redfish and speckled trout can be awesome, I've not fished the salt in a long time. May start doing it again, even bought a saltwater stamp this year.

I've enjoyed visiting your site, especially because you guys use a few kayaks not commonly used in Texas. Don't expect to visit out your way anytime soon, but hope to learn from you guys.