All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Fishing Kayaks Forums > All Cobra Kayaks

Old 08-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Home Guard

Piranha is on a distinguished road
Default Cobra Marauder?

Today I went to Sunset Beach and demo'd the Cobra Marauder. I'm getting a little old to be paddling my FND aircraft carrier into the Dana Point equivalent of Hurricane Gulch! I know Perry has a Marauder! I was impressed both with the speed and stability of the boat! I sat sidesaddle on it, and rocked it pretty good, and didn't flip. I did get a wet butt, and that might help explain the stability! Went about a half mile into Huntington Harbour and when I turned back, I had a gusty wind in my face. No problem. The boat I tested was a bare boat, no hatches, just the shell. So I need information about the finished product, tricked out for fishing! I tested it while Iceman(Andy) did some modifications on my Malibu Pro 2 Tandem. He's the owner of OEX. They're across the little sand beach from Sunset Rentals! Andy is a very nice guy who being a yakfisherman himself, takes good care of you. As does Kenny at Sunset Rentals(Cobras)! Also I found out that the Marauder is a relatively lightweight yak! I'm seeking opinions from Perry and anyone else with experience in this kayak. Pros and cons! Thanks a million! Piranha
Old 08-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Cobra Marauder?

Jerry,
I'll hit you up tomorrow here when I can give you a really good account of them, right now I have to scoot. In the meantime though, here is a link to our Cobra Kayaks Reviews page here that has a few reviews on the Marauder http://www.allkayakfishing.com/revie...s_reviews.html

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 08-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Home Guard

Default Re: Cobra Marauder?

Thanks Perry!
Old 08-21-2007, 11:09 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

Jerry,
I've been thinking about how to reply to your question, and I have alot more pro's than con's. I think the pro's are the hull design was a major departure from the hulls Cobra is famous for and is alot more along the lines of a Tarpon or other streamlined kayak hulls. Very little hull slap and a nice smooth ride that cuts through the water. On top, I like the large "A" hatch that is available in the bow. Moving rearward, I also like the mounting area that is behind the front hatch and in front of your feet. It makes a really handy place to mount a fish finder or mounting bar. Along the sides are palces for installing 2 front rod holders. I don't use them very much, but when I'm drifting for halibuts I will use a gimbal mount in one and place my rod in there to slow troll or back troll. You could also use them for dead sticking or drop shotting. You also have the large hatch available like the fish-n-dive which makes getting below deck a breeze. The seat bucket is ample if you have some junk in the trunk or extra girth to you. The tankwell is ample and can hold a full size milk crate which is awesome in itself. The kayak is light and has a good amount or carrying capacity to it.

The cons are I would like to see one that has a smaller hatch in front of you turned sideways which could then increase the width of the footwells and make for a flatter cockpit. The other con is a factory rudder system for it. It's not life and death because of it, I just think it would make it easier to paddle in the wind or help control ones drift while fishing.

I think we need to make plans to fishing Cabrillo or such and swap kayaks for a few hours so you can fish from it for awhile and see if it's the right shoe for your foot.

In addition, Cobra Kayaks is a sponsor for our website and I want everyone reading this to know that up front. They are a sponsor because they are a good group of hardworking folks who stand behind their products. Our goal here is to have quality sponsors that offer good products and service for anglers, and we believe Cobra Kayaks fits this criteria. TC&TL,
Perry

Old 08-22-2007, 07:26 AM
Moss Back

Incredible will become famous soon enough

Jerry, let me know what you decide to do with your FishNDive. I may be interested.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:41 AM
Home Guard

Thanks Perry.

We should do that! Can we still buy bait at Cabrillo or do we hafta make it? I'm leaning towards this yak! Saw one in action at Dana testerday. The guy's friend was on his Fish n Dive. The guy was on his brand new(maiden voyage!) Marauder! He was running circles around his fish n dive. Perry, have you tried the X-Factor? When Iceman tokd me it was heavier that my Pro 2 Tandem , I dropped it like a hot potato. Maybe I shoulda tried it! Perry, pm me if you have a yak that's your absolute fave! Capisce?

Regarding Cobra, they're the best. Wes Ogle is a great guy. I recently took my fish n dive over to them in Gardena because a crack had developed. They repaired the crack, recaulked the hatches, went over the whole boat, gave me a tube of caulking, and Wes told me if the crack reoccurs, they'll replace the yak. Can't beat Cobra's guarantee/service!

Last edited by PerryC; 08-23-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

Jerry,
I am a bit familiar with the X-Factor. When Rik worked at MK, they wanted to make a kayak that would be in the same class as a Fish-N-Dive. Rik asked some of us for our suggestions and I was able to suggest a few things for it such as the 2" mounting rail around the cockpit, a tankwell that would have double recesses in it for a 5 gallon bucket in addition to a full size milk crate, and front carrier which was dropped but they came out with the Gator Hatch afterwards. I was able to use one and paddle it for awhile. It's a nice kayak, but I wouldn't consider it in the same class as a Marauder. You have mail.
Perry

Old 08-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Home Guard

Perry, Thanks for your help. You always come thru! One thing, I have no new PMs and no email from you! Could you please resend! Thanks again, Jerry
Old 10-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Free Swimmer

james92026 is on a distinguished road

Interesting about Cobra. I was going to buy a new Tarpon 140 but found my Navigator XF at a price I could not pass up. I sent a courtesy message to the OEX dealer and he sort of gave me a sour grapes reply stating that Cobra was out of business, did not have any warranties e.t.c. I can only surmise he is a bit peeved. He should not have been though as one of the other OEC franchises, beat his prices by $300 (he said, that at those prices, he must have been trying to sell me a used one, which I suppose could be true. but they sure looked new to me). Again, sounds like sour grapes to me.
I will still buy accessories from him though, he is a knowledgeble and nice guy otherwise.

James
http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/kay...ly-rigged.html
Old 11-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Free Swimmer

JessicaParker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranha View Post
Thanks Perry!
Is this a joke or what.....