All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Kayak Fishing Chit-Chat

Old 03-16-2006, 08:29 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Fishing Crate

Alot of anglers with certain models of kayaks, or those who are temporarily using a kayak for some reason may opt for using a fishing crate as a means of carrying some rods and gear. Most fishing crates will have rod holders attached to it, but I used a Scotty Triple Mounting Bar instead. I took a piece of cheap plastic cutting board and cut a piece the width of the crate and maybe 6 inches wide. I secured that to the crate, then I drilled the Scotty Triple mounting hole pattern in the board and used the stainless steel hardware to secure it down. For securing the crate to the deck, instead of bungee's or turn buckles, I opted for a set of inexpensive tie down straps like you use to secure your kayak to a roof rack, and added 4 brass clips and was done. I mounted a Fish Finder puck in the hull, and run the wires over the lip of the front hatch opening, and the rubber cover keeps more of the water out of the hull. To mount the FF head, I used a Scotty #241 mount towards the bottom, then one of their #272 FF posts, then secured the FF head mount to that. It keeps the FF head low, and the connector to the FF head plugs into the back, so I run it through a opening in the crate diamond pattern and I'm set. Because the #241 mount is mounted sideways on the side of the crate, the #272 FF post cannot rotate any longer, but to remove the FF head, I just loosen a plastic knob on each side of the head and separate it from the mount.

There's alot of ways to setup a fishing crate, and you may opt for the traditional PVC rod holders etc..etc. As with most kayak rigging, there are numerous way to accomplish essentially the same result. I had alot of Scotty stuff around and just started putting it together. Eventually I may just go with a Rhynobar and start over, who knows.
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 05-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Free Swimmer

StocktonDon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fishing Crate - and general rigging

I'm still walking around my new Hobie Adventure trying to think of the best way to rig various things. I like the crate idea, or something very similar, a a way to put stuff together to carry to the kayak and take off the kayak. But the Adventure does not seem set up to take a crate in front, only in back.

So a crate / ice chest in back. In front is where the sonar/gps/compass/whatever must be, so it looks like a hull mount or some other mount like a Rhynobar or multiple Scotty mount bar.

Are there other ideas out there for removable mounts for the front? Specifically, someway to mount a bunch of stuff on an easily removable mount or system so a bunch of stuff can be carried to the kayak and taken of the kayak in front? (Newbie here just been lurking various forums.)
Old 05-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

Thumbs up Re: Fishing Crate

The Scotty triple mounting bar is pretty popular and you can mix and match using rod holders and the removable fish finder mount. The bar mounts in a single Scotty #241 deck/side mount or one of their flush mounts like the #244 or #344 round flush mount. The new models have three spigots for mounting points.

On the other sie of the coin, is the Rhynobar which is round, and has 2 mounting points and is really secure after you get it mounted right. I have one that I haven't used yet waiting for the right kayak to install it on On mine, I plan to put a few Scotty mounts on it so I can use a fish finder, and a rod holder and move them around a bit. Below is a good photo of how the Scotty stuff fits a Rhynobar.

With a system like this, you could use rod holders or a Scotty fish finder mount in the #241 mounts giving one ALOT of versatility. If you wanted to use two rod holders for the day, fine. Of you wanted to use your fish finder and one rod holder, you could very easily. You could put three #241 mounts on the Rhynobar without too much crowding also. Just some thoughts to ponder....
PerryC.

Old 05-07-2006, 09:25 PM
Free Swimmer

StocktonDon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fishing Crate

Thanks.

Are these systems set up so you can unhook the electronics and carry away the bar and all, or do you have to leave the bars or mounts in place? The reason I ask is that it looks like my transportation and permanent storage require inverting the kayak and so the less stuff to avoid dinging ( or have ding my vehicle) the better.

Appreciate any thoughts.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

SD,
The Rhynobar is not removable like the Scotty triple mounting bar is. With the Rhynobar, you would have to access the inside of the kayak and unbolt it on each end to remove it.

With the Scotty mounting bar, you lift up on the bar a little bit and rotate it and it lifts up and out. The Scotty bar has a post with splines that protrudes from the bottom of the bar, and mates into whichever Scotty mount you choose to use. It does make it very easy when transporting your kayak upside down. If you mount the Scotty bar in an area that you can utilize one of their flush mounts like the #244 or #344, the flush mount will only be above the deck about 1/4". Hope this helps,
Perry

Old 09-16-2006, 09:15 PM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road

On the Hobie Outback you can use the round Scotty mounts right over the rod holders so all you have to do is drill 4 holes just smaller than the screw threads and screw straight into the plastic (no nuts behind).

I also put a mount about 4" toward bow on each side and one in front just under the sail mast mount. I use 2 for rod holders and one for my fish finder.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:30 AM
Moss Back

Incredible will become famous soon enough

I use a Ram Mount for my Fish Finder. The Ram is removable and has a number of options for mounting since it is on a ball. The Fish Finder is waterproof so I just leave mine on and lower it into the footwell when transporting the kayak. If I do need to take it off it will unplug and the mount comes apart by loosening the knob.
Attached Images