All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Kayak Fishing Chit-Chat

Old 09-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Baitfish

lacofdfireman is on a distinguished road
Default Need to build Kayak Trailer from Utility trailer... Ideas?

Hoping someone here can help me out but now that I am the owner of 2 Malibu Kayaks I need a way to transport them besides on the roof of my Expedition.. That is how I brought them home but am planning on building a trailer for them... What my original plans are is to buy the 4x8 trailer and convert it to haul Kayaks.. I would like to make it so I can use it as a regular utility trailer when needed and have the Kayak Rack removable somehow... Anyone have an idea of how this might best be done? I would like the ability to haul at least 4 kayaks... Any help, ideas and of course photo's would be greatly appreciated...
Old 02-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Baitfish

rock hopper andy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need to build Kayak Trailer from Utility trailer... Ideas?

well, how is your fabrication abilities?

can you weld?

how about carpentry?
Old 02-21-2011, 08:45 PM
Free Swimmer

KirkG. is on a distinguished road

Go to your local "industrial metal supply" type store and look for the material that they make street sign posts out of. It's 2x2 sq and has little holes about every 1" or so. Buy enough of it to make the frame and cross members as big as you need, nuts and bolts and some "L" shaped brackets to hold it all together. If you cant find the "L" brackets they also sell "T" brackets that you fit the cross members into.

Think of adult sized erector set and you get the idea. You can drill some holes in the frame of your trailer on the corner and bolt it to or remove it from your trailer as you need. Sorry I dont have any pics as its just an idea for my trailer that hasnt seen the light of day.

KirkG.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Baitfish

rock hopper andy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkG. View Post
Go to your local "industrial metal supply" type store and look for the material that they make street sign posts out of. It's 2x2 sq and has little holes about every 1" or so. Buy enough of it to make the frame and cross members as big as you need, nuts and bolts and some "L" shaped brackets to hold it all together. If you cant find the "L" brackets they also sell "T" brackets that you fit the cross members into.

Think of adult sized erector set and you get the idea. You can drill some holes in the frame of your trailer on the corner and bolt it to or remove it from your trailer as you need. Sorry I dont have any pics as its just an idea for my trailer that hasnt seen the light of day.

KirkG.
that is a great idea, and i imagine that in the end it ends up being fairly light weight, only way i can think to improve it would be to dimple-die the holes, but that wound be a TON of work.