All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 03-16-2006, 08:06 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Default Thursday at Dana Point

Six of us made it out for a mid-week foray for some scouting and fishing. Aaron & Julie were there early and suiting up for another day at chasing hali's around. Big "O", Jax Yak, JClays and myself headed out a few minutes later and headed south to the usual place, looking for the usual suspects. We caught some halibuts, some taco sized bass and a barracuda. Jax Yak caught the hali, bass and cuda. Jclays caught a nice sized 3+lb Calico Bass on a plug. I got a short halibut and a nice bass to round things out. I'm not sure what Big "O" caught as he left before I could touch base with him, and Aaron & Julie were still out fishing hard when we headed in about noonish. There was some chop that came up in the afternoon, and there were some big rollers in a set that came in from pretty far out which was surprising. Another nice day on the water...

JClay's Bass

PerryC.
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 03-17-2006, 01:14 PM
Baitfish

Aaron&Julie is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Howdy

Perry, it was really nice finally meeting you. And seeing Big O again. Also, nice meeting Jclays, GBF, and Jack. We also had the pleasure of speaking to Bernard while rigging up. He was the first to launch.
Unfortunately, no legal halibut for us this day. We did manage a few shorts, and Aaron caught a nice sized sculpin, almost kept. But, the bad news for all of us regarding the halibut happened the night(s) before. We took a mid-morning restroom break at the Doheny launch and discovered why the fish weren't hungry. HUNDREDS of good sized grunion were dead on the beach. It must have been one helluva a run, because even the gulls were too full to eat any more. The fish probably were stuffed too. At least the weather was better than we hoped for .
Old 03-18-2006, 08:49 AM
Baitfish

Big O is on a distinguished road

Hi Perry,

That was my first time out with the Hobie, a bit more tipsy than the F&D. I guess it will take awhile to get used to It was getting a bit windy at the river mouth so I decieded to get my "sea legs" inside the harbor for a little more practice on the Hobie Got a small Halibut near baby beach, so I guess that breaks the Hobie in
Old 03-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Default Hobie

Oscar,
It sounds like you liked your new kayak, and even broke it in Everyone who owns a peddle hobie I have talked to really likes them. I've never tried one, but I would really like to. Maybe we can hit the Hali Hole when they're a little hungrier and not so stuffed from grunnion. Take Care and see 'ya out there,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube